• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep up them hand-flying and raw data skillz!

In the ERJ, the A/P can be deferred (also the FD, I think).

Same thing in the CRJ. Got to hand-fly three legs (about 4 hours total block) a couple weeks ago because CA's FD was on MEL along with the AP.

WOW a whole four hours! Can I have your autograph? Three legs for four hours of flight time in a Beech 1900 is a short day.

Wimps

WOW a whole four hours! Can I have your autograph? Three legs for four hours of flight time in a Beech 1900 is a short day.

Wimps

Hand flying a swept-wing jet at FL270 and 430kts with no FD up and down the friggin' east coast where a violation is waiting to happen is much different than 17,000ft and 220 kts in a straight-wing turboprop. Are you even flying the Beech? Its not listed in your profile...

This isn't a RJ vs. T-prop issue (as stated I have the utmost respect for 19 seat tprop pilots), I was responding to someone wondering if the FD & AP could be MEL'd...I simply confirmed that it could because I did it a couple weeks ago.

I love the Beech. It's so hard-core sometimes.....VOR Circle at night in a snowstorm to land on a snowy runway (aim between the lights....that's all you see anyways) with a 15 knot crosswind...am I crazy?....probably...do I love it? most definitely....but I'm lookin' to fly a 737 sooner rather than later....after a while, money becomes a defining factor.

I love the Beech. It's so hard-core sometimes.....VOR Circle at night in a snowstorm to land on a snowy runway (aim between the lights....that's all you see anyways) with a 15 knot crosswind...am I crazy?....probably...do I love it? most definitely....but I'm lookin' to fly a 737 sooner rather than later....after a while, money becomes a defining factor.

There's so much B/S in this post that I can hear the cows mooing. You've never done a circle outside the sim and 15kts x-wind on a contaminated runway? Please. Get back to learnin how to push the button.

"Hand flying a swept-wing jet at FL270 and 430kts with no FD up and down the friggin' east coast where a violation is waiting to happen is much different than 17,000ft and 220 kts in a straight-wing turboprop."

Hehehehe. The replacement jet sounds pretty impressive when you describe it like that. You'd think you were flying the Starship Enterprise or something. No coffin corner, lethargic near-jet performance, VNAV... (yawn)

I'm not impressed. I'd put my money on the Beech driver.

There's so much B/S in this post that I can hear the cows mooing. You've never done a circle outside the sim and 15kts x-wind on a contaminated runway? Please. Get back to learnin how to push the button.

I know Beach Balls, he can't get a lady to save his life but he is one of us.

Hehehehe. The replacement jet sounds pretty impressive when you describe it like that. You'd think you were flying the Starship Enterprise or something. No coffin corner, lethargic near-jet performance, VNAV... (yawn)

I'm not impressed. I'd put my money on the Beech driver.

Good, because you have no reason to be impressed. I was only doing my job. I wasn't bragging, I simply stated what I did at work. Yes, it was more work than turning the AP on at 10,000ft and yes, after the third leg I was tired and looking forward to the overnight.

If if came down to a test of sheer ability between Beech pilot handflying vs. me handflying an RJ, I'd bet on the Beech guy myself. I'm 100% confident in my abilities, but no jet pilot used to the level of automation an RJ has is as sharp as a 19 seat turboprop pilot used to flying in the slag with no AP. That's just a simple fact.

Why the righteous indignation toward small jet pilots?

(talk about thread creep)

Latest resources

Back