• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good, because you have no reason to be impressed. I was only doing my job. I wasn't bragging, I simply stated what I did at work. Yes, it was more work than turning the AP on at 10,000ft and yes, after the third leg I was tired and looking forward to the overnight.

If if came down to a test of sheer ability between Beech pilot handflying vs. me handflying an RJ, I'd bet on the Beech guy myself. I'm 100% confident in my abilities, but no jet pilot used to the level of automation an RJ has is as sharp as a 19 seat turboprop pilot used to flying in the slag with no AP. That's just a simple fact.

Why the righteous indignation toward small jet pilots?

(talk about thread creep)

Because he got furloughed due to those good-for-nothing RJ pretty boys with their fancy spiked hair, iPods, backpacks, VNAV, FMS, and A/P.:rolleyes:

It's just a different era from the 80's and 90's. The majority of Regional jobs out there today are RJ jobs (unfortunately for the Industry). Most of the guys/gals taking these jobs today would have flown Metro's or J-Balls if they had to. There may be a small minority who would not have.

There's so much B/S in this post that I can hear the cows mooing. You've never done a circle outside the sim and 15kts x-wind on a contaminated runway? Please. Get back to learnin how to push the button.

Can't speak for him, but I have done several circling approaches. I have landed on contaminated runways with strong crosswinds (+30kts). I have done DME arcs as well. I don't know where you fly the Beech, but there are some places you take it where there are mountains, no radar coverage and no precision approaches.

Only the cocky ones...

I would certainly hope you don't think I'm "cocky" based upon me telling a story about one day at work...but if you do there ain't anything I can do about it. I'm very fortunate to have the job that I do (just 3 years ago AWAC wouldn't touch anybody without 2500tt and an ATP), and I know the only reason I have a job flying a CRJ on former F28 & DC9 routes is because mainline MECs gave up scope on RJs.

Had that not happened, all the small jets would be at mainline and I'd probably be flying a Baron or Caravan, trying to make that jump to a Jetstream or Dash...just like I'm sure you had to do.

...(just 3 years ago AWAC wouldn't touch anybody without 2500tt and an ATP...

Actually, three years ago is about the time when AWAC stopped hiring people with those sorts of qualifications, particularly if they had about 500-1000 hrs turbine PIC in 121 operations.

But that's a little off-topic. Let's return to the regularly-scheduled "Pilots who have NO Turboprop Time" topic.

""there are some places you take it where there are mountains, no radar coverage and no precision approaches""

My point exactly. Just because some pilots get to do A/P coupled approaches all day every day to great big airports.... Some of us do fly in some pretty nasty weather!
That being said, I have NOTHING against RJ pilots whatsoever. I think there are a lot of professionals up there, but flying high and fast is totally different, not harder or better, but DIFFERENT than doing a tough approach into Rockland, Augusta, Bar Harbor ME, Lebanon NH, or the perpetually windy Shenandoah valley, Beckley-Bluefield.

I flew a turbo prop for a while before developing a horrible case of shiny jet syndrome. It didn't take too long to miss that turbo prop a lot. Nothing against the RJ's...I had a lot of fun - but that old G-73T was magic....I hope they get recertified to fly again soon

RR

Try flying a Beech 2000. Thats a "real" airplane. Canards dude! Some of the most fun I have had in a TP. Composite and fast too!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back