• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a product of the current hiring profile and essentially have no TP time. Seminole to CRJ to A320. The reason I say 'essentially' is because when I was hired at CMR in 2001 everyone still started out on the Brasilia. I did the training and passed my checkride but never flew the airplane. Shortly after my checkride we went on strike and after the strike I started CRJ training.

I regret never getting to actually fly the Brasilia because it was a bitch getting through training and I would've liked to have logged at least a few hours in it, but I'm not convinced flying it would have made me a better pilot. It was pretty automated, it has an APU and a F/A. Same thing for the ATR and the Dash. In the terminal area we're all at 250 anyways so where is the big difference? The 1900 guys certainly have it a bit different but IMO most modern 121 turboprops aren't much different from regional jets once you get below 10000.

I do lament the fact I didn't fly single pilot checks/freight between CFIing and 121 flying. Financially I'm glad I didn't have to, but I think the experience would have been fun and certainly wouldn't have hurt my overall flying ability. There's a lot to be said for war stories. There I was, it was a dark and stormy night, etc, etc. When you're sitting around the fire with your grandkids they'd probably rather hear about that stuff instead of about the time the mean and nasty ol' CRJ dripped glycol on me during the walkaround in YUL.

There is one group of aviators that do seem to stand out a little bit IMO. Anybody that's spent any time as a 121 turboprop Captain flying with very junior pilots usually seem to have their shiite together. Their SA is normally above average and they don't get rattled very easily. I know it's fashionable to bust on Gulfstream guys, but can you imagine CFIing in a 1900 while trying to safely deliver pax in all kinds of WX into a major airport? The same thing applies to guys from places like Colgan and Skyway. Say what you will but those guys can seriously multitask. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment

There is one group of aviators that do seem to stand out a little bit IMO. Anybody that's spent any time as a 121 turboprop Captain flying with very junior pilots usually seem to have their shiite together. Their SA is normally above average and they don't get rattled very easily. I know it's fashionable to bust on Gulfstream guys, but can you imagine CFIing in a 1900 while trying to safely deliver pax in all kinds of WX into a major airport? The same thing applies to guys from places like Colgan and Skyway. Say what you will but those guys can seriously multitask. YMMV.

Thanks for the compliment Caveman, but it's not as bad at Colgan as you'd think. Our hiring department does an excellent job of screening people (IMHO). Most of the new FOs, while green, are good pilots. We only hire a small percentage of applicants and are one of the few airlines out there (of any size) that still require you to prove you can fly, in a full motion Simulator (Beech 1900). I think that makes all the difference in the world with getting quality FOs.

Thanks for the compliment Caveman, but it's not as bad at Colgan as you'd think. Our hiring department does an excellent job of screening people (IMHO). Most of the new FOs, while green, are good pilots. We only hire a small percentage of applicants and are one of the few airlines out there (of any size) that still require you to prove you can fly, in a full motion Simulator (Beech 1900). I think that makes all the difference in the world with getting quality FOs.

I wasn't trying to compare you guys to Gulfstream. Colgan and Skyway both hire qualified pilots ready to go to work. I only meant that comparatively, they are usually pretty low time and the learning curve is pretty steep. It was meant as a genuine compliment and not a sideways swipe at Colgan or Skyway.

I wasn't trying to compare you guys to Gulfstream. Colgan and Skyway both hire qualified pilots ready to go to work. I only meant that comparatively, they are usually pretty low time and the learning curve is pretty steep. It was meant as a genuine compliment and not a sideways swipe at Colgan or Skyway.

Dude, I totally took it as a genuine compliment, which is why I was being serious when I said thank you. So again, Thank you.

I did want to stress though, that Colgan hires, IMHO more qualified applicants than most operators, TP or RJ.

Last edited:
I'm curious. How many pilots here have never flown a Turboprop? Do you feel any regret for skipping that segment? Do you feel that you might have learned something flying a 19 seat turboprop (no a/p, no f/a) for 6-8 legs a day?

:smash:

I wanted to fly a turboprop. There was only one regional I was willing to go to and they put me in a jet. I wasn't going to go work for 15 bucks an hour at Great Lakes just so I could fly a 1900.

Does anyone feel like they missed anything going from a 172 CFI to a part 121 two crew turboprop FO? Do you feel like you could have learned some real PIC skills by flying freight in a C421/PA31/BE58 (no a/p, no f/a, no radar, no heater, no pressurization, no paint, no captain to babysit you into the real weather) for 4-8 legs a day doing FULL approaches in non-radar by yourself through the mountains at night?

???

Enjoyed flying the Brasilia and ATR, but enjoy leaving the Southeast on the RJ at the same time. Wear the hat, but would love to see it disappear when it's summertime uniform guidelines, if not altogether.

Enjoy my ipod....

I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
I'm not much into health food, I am into champagne.

99% of the people I fly with who have TP experience are sharper pilots than those who went straight into the jet, just an observation. I did 1000 hours of Lear time in between instructing and 121, but wish I had some TP time.

Flown with a guy or two from Riddle that were SHARP, SHARP, SHARP. Especially on systems/ATC procedures, ETC.. But would not want to be in a serious emergency with them. Give me the turboprop guy.

Awesome. I feel the same way.

As an FO, you can look up the skirt of the girl in 1A. Nice panties!

Ah the memories, I can remember one real vividly, Xmas day, PIT to CLE, B1900, only passenger was a smokin hot 20-something with the shortest skirt I had ever seen, killer legs and the black leather knee boots too, As I welcomed her aboard she says can I sit right here(pointing at 1A) and watch you guys??

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily, no turbo prop or rj time. Went from a Beech 18 to a 727. It was a bit of a stretch, but not impossible or even close.

I've never flown a turboprop, I wouldn't have turned my nose up at the opportunity to fly one, however.

I also love my iPod, don't wear a hat, and drink a lot!:beer:

Latest resources

Back