• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was glad I started out in a turborop. I figured once I hit the airlines, there'd be a good chance I'd never get the chance to fly one.

Hi!

I started flying in 1975, and have 0 turboprop time. That is, unless you count the aircraft with the huge prop with a turbine engine that spins above your head (a helo). I also have only about 150 recip, and 100 FWSE recip. I have about 8 hrs MEFW Recip.

cliff
YIP

I am very thankful for my t-prop time. I didn't want to go from a Seminole to an RJ. It would have been hard to keep up and there would be alot lost in the transition. So far I'm very happy with my transition to jets. Single to Seminole to Aztec to Grand Caravan to Saab 340 to CRJ-2/7/9 (Not Mesa). I loved the t-prop and if it had rnav and an apu it would have been even better. It was a great introduction to the busy airspace, icing, t-storms, flight levels (lower ones) higher speeds, mental math crossing restrictions, etc. I think ill be able to keep up alot more with whats going on in the RJ now because of my past experience. If I was comming from a 140 knot Seminole, then I would be afraid to click george off 40 miles out and hand fly an ILS now and then. But, I gotta say, I am looking foward to climbing and accelerating at the same time......

It was a great introduction to the busy airspace, icing, t-storms, flight levels (lower ones) higher speeds, mental math crossing restrictions, etc. ......

Thats what I thought was so great about T-props, you dont need the mental math as much, just eye-ball that crossing restriction. It'll work out.

I miss flying the ATR.... that fat pig would go anywhere you told her to. and around the caribbean it was perfect, if you could get the door closed, you could take off ANYWHERE! The jet causes a lot less ring around the collar, but I had a lot more fun wih the loud and dirty flying... Vote 1 more for the Ipod

Jets are for Hot Tubs!!

Spent five years on the mighty Beech 1900 in the northeast and upper midwest. VERY proud of the experience. I do think many folks do miss out by not having that experience. However, if I had the opportunity to go fly a jet at 1000 hours or less, I would have jumped at the chance as well. Just a changing industry.

The sad thing is that in this day and age, it is becoming harder to go right from a 1900 to a major/large jet operator. I was offered a 737 job, only to have it resinded when Independence Air went under because the operator wanted a chance to get guys with jet time. Needless to say, I am on the CRJ now to get some of that swept wing/glass/fms time.

As for the IPOD, can't afford it. As I said, I spent five years on the 1900. Hats do look better than frosted hair.

Last edited:
No hat, flew both metro and Saab, love my IPOD !!

Flew Caravans in the Northwest for 4 years - loved it. The experience was a great preparation for jets and made for an easy transition.

NEDude said:
Spent five years on the mighty Beech 1900 in the northeast and upper midwest. VERY proud of the experience.

Awesome. I feel the same way.

Bad ass airplane. Overpowered. Nimble. 300 foot landing roll. Lands on dirt, mud, sand, grass, and it floats.

As an FO, you can look up the skirt of the girl in 1A. Nice panties!

Latest resources

Back