• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Over the last 10 years our profession has changed. We have all read threads that talk about the early to mid-90s when pilots needed 2500 hours TT to be competitive for a job flying a Jetstream or Saab 340. Even then, many of those jobs required a $10,000 "investment".

Today, we face a different paradigm. Pilots with only a few hundred hours can go directly from light piston twins, or even singles directly to a high-performance jet. Many of them came directly from a flight-instruction background, having never flown freight, charter, towed banners, followed pipelines, etc.

I'm curious. How many pilots here have never flown a Turboprop? Do you feel any regret for skipping that segment? Do you feel that you might have learned something flying a 19 seat turboprop (no a/p, no f/a) for 6-8 legs a day?

PS - If you are one of the frosted-hair, backpack, ipod, no-hat, I'm entitled to a quick upgrade crowd, this post is not intended for you. I am well aware that you're flying a jet because you're just THAT good. :smash:

i fly a jet 6-8 legs a day sometimes, no auto-pilot, no flight director no flight attendent no help loading the freight. never flew turboprops. and no i do not wish i had flown a turbo-prop. its bad enough i'm stuck at 280 cause we aint got no RVSM.

props are for boats!!:)

Turboprops were fun. You could do things you can't do with a jet. You know what they say... "I'd rather screw my way through life than blow my way...".

The RJ *is* the 19 seat turboprop of this decade. Everybody hates them because they are "small and loud". Hell, after the Comair accident, the media kept referring to them as "commuter jets"!

The problem is this...there ain't nothin' "regional" about an RJ, especially when you are flying them IAH-YYZ or PHL-MCI.

And for the record...I wear the hat, I iron my uniform shirt, I like to have the iPod for running and would love to have a Pt. 91 King Air job.

I'm learning to love the Dash. I wish I could afford an Ipod, use my hat to catch the hand outs, because I have to buy more uniforms.... LOL.

Fun was driving the ditch. Work was carting eskimos around the tundra. Not quite sure what this Dash job is, just yet!

I quit my turboprop job to go to another turboprop job(part.91). I guess I just like 'em.

And ive got an ipod, it does a great job at drowning out the suicide bombs around the corner. AND i use a backpack as a flight bag. Incoming!!!
I can see some of the sphinkters puckering at that one. Backpack???? Oh my goodness, i should be drawn and quartered.

To the original poster, what made you start this thread? Did you see someone in the terminal that had an opportunity you didnt get a chance at? Let it go, let it go......I dont think thats the first or last time your going to see someone get a job with less experience than yourself....Let it go.....

Went from the Piston-Twin 402 to the CRJ, no TProp in between, came back (back?!?) to TProp.
Big step up! Better climb performance, much better hotels!!
Cabo beats Fort Wayne overnights...

Latest resources

Back