• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a stepping stone."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and there you have it folks, why we will never get back to where our profession should be. i don't know what has been worse (for our profession) the "greedy baby boomers" or the current 20 something "commercial multi engine wet ink certificates to RJ aces"

Um, I'm not 20 something. And the ink is not wet on any of my certificates. Sorry.

That's gotta be flame bait. I'll pass.

go through med school and become an intern and then residence and see how much you are paid. Lots of professional jobs have a low salary when you start - I have absolutely no problem with first year regional pilots making 16k in a couple of years they are making 35 and a couple of more they are pushing 50. I don't lose sleep with that. I am much more concerned with folks that have been working somewhere 20 years and have been downgraded, lost their pensions and are doomed to retire in a few years.

go through med school and become an intern and then residence and see how much you are paid. Lots of professional jobs have a low salary when you start - I have absolutely no problem with first year regional pilots making 16k in a couple of years they are making 35 and a couple of more they are pushing 50. I don't lose sleep with that. I am much more concerned with folks that have been working somewhere 20 years and have been downgraded, lost their pensions and are doomed to retire in a few years.

Exactly.

A professional pilot is one of the few careers that you have to start all over again at the bottom. Those of us that are furloughed have two options. Overseas or GoJet. I dont want to live overseas and I will not take a position at GoJet.

What other careers do you have to start all over at the bottom to "Pay your dues"?

Learn your job, do it right. I know my job. I do it right. The basic fact is, this job is NOT hard. It just isn't.

Have you ever worked hard? I mean, you know, worked? Studying your OM doesn't count as hard work. Knowing your procedures doesn't count either. Actually DOING your procedures...nope, not hard. In fact, I find flying standard easier than flying non-standard. (Everyone is on the same page.)

So tell me, oh hard working one, where does the hard work come in? Being on duty for 16 hours isn't desirable, but it isn't difficult. Flying for 6 legs a day is a lot of work, but it isn't difficult. Occasionally things happen to get your blood pressure up. They are RARE.

Working hard, and hard work are different things. This job is not hard work.

You have mgmt written all over your face!! Have you been furloughed, been on the street, made 1st year pay at a regional 3 times over? Why I agree this is not a HARD job, it has a lot of responsibilities that you obviously don't see or understand. If someone can make more money flippin burgers at McD's then there is clearly something wrong with our industry. The traditional stepping stone model no longer applies this day in age when flavor of the month airlines come and go as often as a hooker at the bunny ranch.

in a couple of years they are making 35 and a couple of more they are pushing 50. I don't lose sleep with that.

$35,000?? Unless you're Robert Barone, that wouldn't cover the cost of an average mortgage, school loans, utilities, car payment, insurance, and food per month! You need at least $50k just to pay that plus other things like insurance, and car gas etc. That's without putting even $1 in savings. ESPECIALLY when you're starting off in the hole (16k) it will take more money, and a greater period of time to recoup that loss.

I get it, I chose it too, but I do lose sleep over that. If 35-50 is acceptable to people, then I guess I'd better plan on finding a new career since I cant limbo that low...:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back