• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots are dumb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did it for $40k- for a lot more time than they get today.
And a 172 was $41/hr wet at the local fbo-

I think his point is that you can't do it that cheap anywhere anymore

David Ramsey was on this morning saying how "stupid and dumb" it was for someone who wanted to get a loan and spend 80K+ on a degree to become a social worker at 22K/year. I guess his opinion of the subject of this thread would be easy to figure out.

:laugh: Okay, sure Kalifornia. What did you do, pay Embry Riddle 100K for ratings and then find out that everyone else was doing it for less than half that price at other places? I'd be mad too if I had wasted 100K like that. :nuts:

Yea nimrod, you got me pegged (sarcasm). I have no problem joining you in bashing Embry Riddle, but didn't go there myself and as Waveflyer mentions, I also began flight training at around $40 an hour at an old time FBO and after college wound up with about $35 grand in flight training loans. Kinda sucked even at that amount to start at $19 an hour at the "regionals", but fast forward to today's reality and I invite you to call up an FBO and ask them what the going rate is for airplane rental and flight instruction. I dare you to find a place that will get you from zero time to Commercial AMEL for less than roughly 75 grand. Tack on CFI, CFII, MEI and for 75 grand is definitely the floor without some out of the ordinary gift connection. Most of the university programs out of liability concerns by having the best of technology or to try and match the shiny Cessna syndrome of the likes of Embry Riddle are running over 100 grand for the full enchilada. The whole point is you are not alone, but one of a majority of pilots who are out of touch.

On that same out of touch note, I've personally witnessed recently a Delta Northwest pilot ask a Pinnacle pilot what airplane he flew. Just one example of infinite. How are the legacy pilots going to ever adequately address scope if their head is that far in the sand and put a stop to the race to the bottom? I sure hope people are well aware now and spreading the word about what a plague Republic is becoming.

Last edited:
I did it for $40k- for a lot more time than they get today.
And a 172 was $41/hr wet at the local fbo-

I think his point is that you can't do it that cheap anywhere anymore
Kalifornia obviously paid way too much and is bitter about it now, but sure, you can do it that cheap now if you're willing to put a little effort into it instead of expecting it to fall in your lap. A quick look at one of the advertizers here, ATP, shows them offering a package deal taking you from zero time to Commercial, CFI, CFII, MEI, and 165 hours multi for less than 50K. And you can cut it down even cheaper by doing most of it at an FBO flight school.

ATP at $50k + college degree= ??

Have you seen how much college has increased in te last 10 years?
I bet that's how parents making $60k put kids through college- it was a tenth of the cost(!) UC's are going up 19% this year- and 15% next or are you going to say you don't need a degree -

a social worker career is still better than mcdonald's-
think education is expensive - try ignorance- remember- it's not only about dollars- educated people tend to be MUCH more responsible-
the point is still not great as even an average job at A regional will net you six figures -

Have you seen how much college has increased in te last 10 years?

Yeah. I got out of a 4 year out of state private school with two degrees and 300 hours for 7k just over ten years ago. I worked hard to keep it cheap, but there's no way I could repeat history. I'd be in business. With not even a solo to my name.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back