Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ePilot22

BuyTheTicket~TakeTheRide
Does anyone ever think that the cockpit may become totally pilotless? If so how many years until that happens?

I read an article once that said while an aircraft may be able to fly (taxi, take-off, fly and land) itself, no human will ever board the back of an aircraft that doesn't have a human in the front. However, I was discussing this with a few other people and one said that it used to be unheard of to get on an elevator or a train without an operator. I did point out that the damage and loss caused by an accident is not as severe in an elevator or train as it would be in the case of a fully automated aircraft. And that elevators and trains work in one and two dimensions, where of course, aircraft work in three. There is also a difference in environment as well as certain factors that cannot be controlled.

Needless to say the one still argued that within the next 25 years we will no longer be needed upfront?

Any thoughts, opinions..........or facts on this idea.

In my own opinion, I do not see this as a concern in our near future. Burt Rutan offers his opinion about this in several interviews, and I tend to agree with him. Automation is becoming increasingly more common place, as technology solves various safety issues, however this technology will lead to new responsibilities for the pilot, not his extinction.

There was a segment on Modern Marvels a couple of nights ago about a cockless pilotpit airplanes. They flew an airplane by remote control all the way to Australia and safely landed. Was reported that they can stay aloft 36 hrs without refueling.

dmrogers said:
In my own opinion, I do not see this as a concern in our near future. Burt Rutan offers his opinion about this in several interviews, and I tend to agree with him. Automation is becoming increasingly more common place, as technology solves various safety issues, however this technology will lead to new responsibilities for the pilot, not his extinction.
We already see the effects of automation and technology reducing the number of flight crews needed to get the work done.

With jets came speed, more legs can be done in one day than what could be done by a DC-3 or Super Connie.

With automation, we saw flight engineers and navigators go bye-bye.

At the 135 level and Part 91 level, we have autopilots in lieu of a co-pilot, including single pilot jet operations.

I think in 20 years or so, they will have made one pilot airliners a reality.

I dont see this happening in our lifetime, however I do see a real threat of shutting down aviation due to high fuel costs, accessable only to the utra rich....

I don't think there will ever be an end to aviation as a form of mass transportation. In fact I think it will only become cheaper and more efficient. We, in the US, will never see aviation like it was in the early years. We are becoming less of pilots and more of "system managers". I did see that the use of high speed trains may cut down the use of aircraft, but the infrastructure for the trains isn't there and is costly and time comsuming to build. Airports on the other hand already exist and are quite numerous. Alternative fuels are something that will need to be reseached for airplanes, but as automobiles begin to use alternatives sources of energy and less petroleum products, more will be available for commercial aircraft use.

From what I heard today, there are 2 billion customers coming "on board". This of course is in the East, but the demand is there and will be there for aviation, but what about us?

Found this job the other day... I think its funny that they require "Commercial pilot's license with instrument rating with a minimum of 300 hours Pilot In Command time", and would like a CFI.

http://www.jobsearch.org/seeker/jobsearch/quick?action=JobSearchViewJob&JobSearch_JobId=22956682&JobSearchType=JobSearch
--------------------------
GA - Aeronautical Systems, Inc.

Company Description:
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. is among the leading technology employers in the San Diego area. We offer a challenging and rewarding work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following:

Job Description:
Instrument Rated RPA Pilot (UAV Pilot) TJ611-2651 Pilot a Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) from a ground control station. Responsible for the operation of the vehicle including mission planning. Will also have additional flight related collateral duties. This position requires travel for six to eight months of the year on a two to three month rotation both within and outside the Continental United States. Operations will be conducted at the El Mirage Flight Operations Facility or overseas.

Experience Required:
Commercial pilot's license with instrument rating with a minimum of 300 hours Pilot In Command time. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Desirable qualifications: CFI preferred. Prior experience in UAV operation, mission planning and actual control of aircraft is desired.

Computer chips and solid-state devices can fry. The most reliable and safest condition of flight is when a competent pilot is at the controls. While it's true that automation can eliminate dangerous "human factors", the reverse does hold true at all. That is, human factors cannot eliminate dangerous automation failures....certainly not if humans aren't present to do so.

That is why automation is a good thing, but only when a human is in place to oversee its operation, and take immediate charge if and when such systems decide to automatically fail.

Consider this. Fully hydraulic steering is illegal to use on street-driven vehicles. With no mechanical linkage between the driver and the wheels, the system is simple and easy to implement. However, it is considered far too dangerous to ever use. Instead we have a power-steering system to aid the driver, and directional control can still be maintained even if such a system catastrophically fails. That's because the safety of having a mechanical linkage acts as a redundancy. In time the pilot will simply be a redundancy, there to take over when the primary system fails.

Whata Job!

I think my 12 year old brother would/could fly the UAV better than me. What a waste of a certificate and time! Train a monkey to fly it!

Automation

Automation,

Even now airliners are mostly flown via automation. On a 5.5 hour flight my hands were on the controls for about 6 minutes. A hand flown ILS is almost an emergency procedure. Soon the pilots will be there only as a back up system. I can't understand Burt Rutans view of the future. The way it stands now two pilots are redundant. One half awake pilot can handle most of it. I would like to see ATC instructions come into the plane via an email like system. The plane alerts the crew to an instruction from ATC and makes the changes through the flight computer and all the crew has to do is give a one word verification to the computer to accept the change. Even emergencies could be handled by the computer. It is almost that way now.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back