Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hurry

Sometimes when I get in a hurry, I skip stuff just trying to make the point, which was, anytime I (proverbial I) cannot hire who I want, there is a shortage to me.

As with any group, there are a bunch of hard working pilots, and , there are those on cruise control. The American guy is my friend but I don't see him getting too stressed out having to crank that 767 to South America and back every other week or two.

When I get paid to write, we take a bit more time.

>>This is why high paying mainline jobs are becomming a thing of the past.

Do you mean volunteer to fly his 767 for free?

Let's not go down that road again...

I would tell him that to remind him that a lot of guys would love to be inconvenienced in that way, and to further remind him that this had been a goal for him, and he should be d*** thankful for the job he had. I'd have been happy to relieve him of $200 per hr for a flight to Paris!!

:D

Timebuilder said:
>>This is why high paying mainline jobs are becomming a thing of the past.

Do you mean volunteer to fly his 767 for free?

Let's not go down that road again...

I would tell him that to remind him that a lot of guys would love to be inconvenienced in that way, and to further remind him that this had been a goal for him, and he should be d*** thankful for the job he had. I'd have been happy to relieve him of $200 per hr for a flight to Paris!!

:D

Fair enough, I just wasn't sure what you meant by you r previous statement. Sorry for implying otherwise.

I am thankful for my job....

Absolutely

I would have jumped for joy had all my commuter job-hunting efforts resulted in just one invitation to class. I would have been joyous, still, just to hold a good line and drive around a 1900 for several years. RJ controversies notwithstanding, to be in the right place at the right time for an RJ seat would have been beyond my wildest imagination.

We had to turn down a 40K 727 charter tonight because we didn't have any crews....yes there is a pilot shortage on Sunday nights, holidays, and when the weather is great for golf. It is a great life but somebody has to do it.

Military v. Civilian Pilot Shortage

Perhaps. But, you can't compare the two. Many factors govern the number of military pilot slots, such as whether the military feels it needs pilots.

Maybe what you really should look at is if there is a shortage of people wanting to be military pilots. To the best of my knowledge, there is no shortage of wannabes. The military sets specific, narrow criteria for trainees and there might not be enough of them available. This may be a situation of whether there are enough qualified applicants available for the slots to be filled.

In the case of the civilian pilot "shortage," there is never a shortage because the airlines adjust their requirements according to their needs. In times such as now, they raise the quals. In better hiring times, when they're not running short of better-qualified applicants, they lower their requirements and the void is filled. On the other hand, the military's requirements are rigid.

I know I keep saying it, but there may not be a pilot shortage in your part of the world, but there will be in the Asia Pacific soon if the future aircraft orders are anything to go by.

Austpilot

So, do you think they will be hiring expats for those jobs? Which asian airlines are ordering planes? Thanks for the info.

I believe what the guy who originally posted the question about pilot shortages, was really wanting to know, is whether getting into aviation is a good thing at this time to do. Will he have a chance of getting hired down the road? I do not believe there will be, or is a pilot shortage as far as there being no pilots to take the places of retiring pilots. However, I do believe the rumor of all the pilots that will retire over the next 10 years, which is alot of them. The part that makes there "no shortage" is the young training pilots like myself and many others who will move in to take the regional jobs, that went to the majors to take the retired pilot's jobs. In that respect, there is no "shortage" in pilots, however, there will be a NEED for them and plenty of jobs for people like myself to get. But, also plenty of young pilots to go after those jobs, again like myself and others currently going after their ratings and building time. So, now is probably one of the best times to get into aviation. I will not be applying to an airline for another few years, and by then, things should be back to normal, as they are already beginning to pick up. The regionals have announced when they will call back their furloughed pilots and some regionals are even hiring again.

Latest resources

Back