Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still try . . .

Good analysis, Brian. I would add that many of us forget, or don't remember, that there was a pilot shortage as Brian defined in the 1960s. Places like United were hiring people with Commercials at the mins or even with Privates (as an aside, United still does, sometimes!!). But, that was only briefly in the sixties.

Despite the deceptive, shifting sands of Kit's pilot shortage, people should still try for the career. Just realize that attaining your goals won't be the easy, breezy experience as Kit and his sycophants lead you to believe. It takes a lot more to get a pilot job than just being persistent and optimistic.

For me - I don't really care how long I have to wait, as long as I get there at some point. Yeah, it'd be nice to make the bigger money earlier, but I'm beginning to realize that the process of getting there is half the fun. So what if I have to instruct another year or two, or spend some more time flying RJ's or Brasilias? It's still flying. Each step of the process is going to be a blast in its own way.

I just see a couple of my buddies plunking down 40K and getting their 1000/200 in like 18 months, and wonder how much time they've had to sit back and really enjoy being up there? Do they ever fly a cub to a 1500' grass strip to get some BBQ in the small town nearby? Or do the date flight where you watch the sun go down from the air and have dinner somewhere 300nm away? Not to knock the rapid training method - it's certainly faster and cheaper!

Yeah, I know - I don't have a family to think about yet, so maybe I'm being naive, but at the moment I'm just enjoying where I am now, and will worry about the airlines when I finally get the minimums to apply.

Good attitude

Absolutely. Part of the fun is getting there. Some of my best experiences in aviation were when I soloed my first student, when I soloed CAP cadets during two CAP flight encampments, running one of the encampments, and building something like 250 hours of multi in one semester instructing at ERAU. (Finally) getting a phone call inviting me to my first interview was a good experience. My best memory: The last day of my last job before starting aviation full time. Arriving at that day was a journey in and of itself.

Enjoy the ride. There's plenty to enjoy.

Last edited:
fun

I would agree that getting there is half the fun.

Most of the time when I tell people to consider an accelerated program, it is someone who is a mid life career changer, older and someone trying to catch up. In addition, sometimes the persons personality is such that they are a lousy instructor and that is just not the route.

As to Brian, to me there is a shortage any time I cannot find someone I want. If I have to lower my standards, there is a shortage. I am not sure that there is not a shortage today of people with the work ethic I want. The me generation is not what I want so there is a shortage.

Lastly, life is competitive. You do not go become a lawyer or doctor because someone like Kit or some college runs ads about the doctor shortage. Pilots have always had the giant ego and the confidant nature,,,,,, unless they were being interviewed by a chief pilot,,,,that the competition should not matter.

amazed by you

publisher said:
.............. I am not sure that there is not a shortage today of people with the work ethic I want. The me generation is not what I want so there is a shortage. .................

Man you amaze me. I just can't imagine how someone who seemingly makes a living ( I assume that publishing a magazine is your livelyhood) from pilots, and who professes a love of the industry can have such a low level of respect for the people that constitute his bread and butter.

I don't know who you are observing when you come to the conclusion that there is a shortage of people/pilots with a proper work ethic, but it isn't anyone that flys for a living. When was the last time you spent a week with a ditch driver, or even a Brasilia crew flying 7/8/9 legs a day? When was the last time you went through upgrade training? Even the PFT'rs that I despise still have to work their tails off to succeed.

Are you an employer of professional pilots?, or are you just speaking hypothetically when you say that the me generation is not what you want?

For that matter, just what do you want, indentured servants or maybe just plain slaves?

later

Enigma

Enigma,

Sorry about that. I was using an actual example from a Director of Operations of a Part 121 carrier who will remain nameless. It was a discussion on crew scheduling and all the people who did not show for work.

While he may have been facetious in making the remark, I know where he was coming from. There are many today who worry more about their time off than their time on and it is not necessarily the younger generation.

I have a friend who is an American Captain who was on reserve and who whined when they called him to actually go fly a trip. It interfered with his golf and fishing.

You have to read these things with the grain of reality that is there and not get too offended. If you fly the line, you know some of these people.

I knew a guy like that.

He would get all bent out of shape when I would "volunteer" to fly his 767 if he had a tee time he wanted to make.

Talk about a shift in priorities....

Re: Enigma

publisher said:
Enigma,

Sorry about that. I was using an actual example from a Director of Operations of a Part 121 carrier who will remain nameless. It was a discussion on crew scheduling and all the people who did not show for work.

Publisher

If I missed something from the ongoing string that would have explained your post, I appologize. But I didn't see anything in that post that would have indicated that you were quoting someone else. I know, because you've said so, that you sometimes write some things to get a reaction; and I considered that before I responded, but I couldn't find any way to justify that kind of attitude towards hard working pilots.

Last edited:
Timebuilder said:
I knew a guy like that.

He would get all bent out of shape when I would "volunteer" to fly his 767 if he had a tee time he wanted to make.

Talk about a shift in priorities....

This is why high paying mainline jobs are becomming a thing of the past.

Do you mean volunteer to fly his 767 for free?

Latest resources

Back