• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just got called for a job...from a resume I dropped off in Apr, 2009. They couldn't find guys so went back into their files and called every number that they had on hand.

cliff
HNL

Just got called for a job...from a resume I dropped off in Apr, 2009. They couldn't find guys so went back into their files and called every number that they had on hand.

cliff
HNL
Didn't you tell me that Atlas has dropped their minimums to 2000TT from 4000 TT when you applied? All part of the coming 2012 hiring boom, places like the on-demand guys at KYIP are going to really be redefining competitive minimums

yes, Atlas is down to 2000 TT, 500 Turbine Total. This is the 2nd time in 1 1/2 years that they have lowered their mins.

cliff
HNL

Not bragging, just showing what it can be like if you're open-minded and willing to travel internationally...

45 days on / 45 days off. That works out to 182.5 days off per year (or 26 weeks), on average. The pay is improving soon, but currently $10,000 per month plus per diem (~$1,500), medical insurance, etc. Good hotels, good flying, good destinations. The boss treats us well. It is a private jet operation. When I'm off for half the year, I'm OFF without having to even think about work.

This same aircraft type would pay perhaps $90,000 in the states with 2 or 3 weeks of vacation per year and perhaps medical insurance if you're lucky. Plus my tax burden is greatly reduced by being a resident of another country.

Not that I want a flood of applicants into my line of work, but think about it guys.

Tim

Just hope Europe opens up soon for expats.

(Not really holding my breath for that one)

I think it is Hainan that is offering A330 positions with U.S. and European basing for experienced A320 captains.

The shortage is already showing at the lower end of the industry. On-demand operators of the bigger airplanes DC-9's, 727's have higher mins along with marginal QOL. Then management says don't hire any commuters, they are harder to find to fly on their days off. They are having trouble filling classes. A buddy of mine his company is going to the bottom of their resume stack, some over a year old to find piltos. Most of the old resume already have jobs. All part of the 2012 hiring boom.

Any chance the middle eastern companies (Emitrates, Qatar, etc) will ever look at basing outside the middle east? Or at least look at commuting type employment?

Any chance the middle eastern companies (Emitrates, Qatar, etc) will ever look at basing outside the middle east? Or at least look at commuting type employment?

Who knows really, our opinions are speculative in nature because these companies make decisions based in part on cultural influences and as westerners we don't understand that aspect of their decision making process, but my opinion is that I don't think they will, for a commuting job or international basing you have to look at the opportunities in Asia

The shortage is already showing at the lower end of the industry. On-demand operators of the bigger airplanes DC-9's, 727's have higher mins along with marginal QOL. Then management says don't hire any commuters, they are harder to find to fly on their days off. They are having trouble filling classes. A buddy of mine his company is going to the bottom of their resume stack, some over a year old to find piltos. Most of the old resume already have jobs. All part of the 2012 hiring boom.

keep pouring the Koolaid Yip, I'm sure some 22 year old kid with rich parents is reading this and excited at the prospect of working on a 40 year old DC9 .. ready to come in on his days off and give you 25 days a month for $40K/yr

Latest resources

Back