• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot shortage?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just saw an A-320 job open at $18K/month.

That is the highest that the pay has been for that captain slot. It was about $12k/month 4 years ago or so, then rose to 12K, then 14K, and has pretty consistently been $16K/month for the past 18 months or so.

And, those jobs all used to require a type rating on the A-318/-319/-320/-321...just saw a job listed WITHOUT an airbus type rating being required....the worldwide hiring boom is here.

cliff
RMS

I'm quite familiar with the process at all the jobs I apply to. Trust me, though you seem to think otherwise, in not taking the lazy approach.

Don't mean to come across that way- apologies-
It's the crap end of age 65& the economy right now- keep your head up- won't last forever

And, those jobs all used to require a type rating on the A-318/-319/-320/-321...just saw a job listed WITHOUT an airbus type rating being required....the worldwide hiring boom is here.

cliff
RMS

A 767 captain I know got a job as DEC on an A330 at JetStar, no previous airbus experience although tons of heavy wide body time, several DEC also at carriers in the middle east going to the bus from Boeing, interesting times for sure on the international arena.

Just saw an A-320 job open at $18K/month.

That is the highest that the pay has been for that captain slot. It was about $12k/month 4 years ago or so, then rose to 12K, then 14K, and has pretty consistently been $16K/month for the past 18 months or so.

cliff
RMS
the hiring boom coming to a country near you soon.

Yes its good to see that hiring is coming and some with out type...however for all of us that fly props or rj's then there is nothing for you. I really cant imagine that there will be a mass exodus form any major here for some over seas gig. For whatever reason, family, schedule, quilty of life is more or less established already, so why would a wide body captain in the US decide to make the jump? With out time on type, you got nothing....

. I really cant imagine that there will be a mass exodus form any major here for some over seas gig. For whatever reason, family, schedule, quilty of life is more or less established already, so why would a wide body captain in the US decide to make the jump? With out time on type, you got nothing....

I don't think that you will see a mass exodus either, but the amount of people that are attending job fairs where international airlines appear is growing, you just had to see how many people from AA attended the last one. About time on type, that is really not the case at many opportunities out there anymore. There are more DEC positions available right now to folks without type rating or time on type that there have ever been, and more opening up every day, granted they are available to experienced pilots.

Yesterday I saw a small airbus capt job at $18K per month.

Those jobs used to have one option: Live in China. Now they are VERY flexible, and in fact at least one Chinese contract agency offers bases in North America. This $20K per month job gives you a number of commuting options, if you don't want to live in China: 3 weeks On/1 Off....6 weeks On/3 Off....15 days on/15 days off. Many of the jobs I have seen advertise that they will work a schedule out with you.

They pay and flexibility are increasing because the pilot shortage is getting worse and worse, worldwide.

cliff
HHN

however for all of us that fly props or rj's then there is nothing for you.

China hires LOTs of CRJ and ERJ captains, both for the 50 seaters and the -170/-195 family. There are Q400 jobs in a lot of places, and ATR jobs in Thailand, India, and other places. All of the ones I have seen are for captains, USUALLY with time on type....but I have seen turboprop jobs with just turboprop PIC needed....NOT time on type.

China Pay: CRJ/ERJ/737 $12K/month. -170/-195 family $14K up to $16K per month. That is what I have seen lately.

I have also seen ATR FO jobs in Vietnam....as well as ATR Capt and RJ capt jobs there, too. Talked to a former ASA guy who said all the guys he knows flying for Air Mekong are liking it a lot.

cliff
HHN

China hires LOTs of CRJ and ERJ captains, both for the 50 seaters and the -170/-195 family. There are Q400 jobs in a lot of places, and ATR jobs in Thailand, India, and other places. All of the ones I have seen are for captains, USUALLY with time on type....but I have seen turboprop jobs with just turboprop PIC needed....NOT time on type.

China Pay: CRJ/ERJ/737 $12K/month. -170/-195 family $14K up to $16K per month. That is what I have seen lately.

I have also seen ATR FO jobs in Vietnam....as well as ATR Capt and RJ capt jobs there, too. Talked to a former ASA guy who said all the guys he knows flying for Air Mekong are liking it a lot.

cliff
HHN
when they quit wanting 6 and 12 months currently, and will type rate you, that's when I'll accept there is a world wide shortage of pilots... (out side of the US)

This whole thread is forgetting the one major historical, and factual law of the airlines... "shrink to profitability".

The airlines will use a pilot shortage to reduce the amount of flight, therefore driving up the cost per seat mile.

Latest resources

Back