Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool, it's settled.

If you're chuck Yeager, don't get a 4-Yr degree

Everyone else, get it done and do your work.

All settled now.

There's no guarantee that someone with a degree is educated
Thank you you get the picture. We all agree it has nothing to do with flying an airplane also. Also there is too much emphasis on college, the skilled trades go wanting, leaving jobs that often pay better than a liberal arts degree or an aviation management degree.

You can succeed in your aviation career without racking up a $100K in debt, unless of course you have rich parents who don't mind paying for it.

I have said never don’t get a degree, I have admitted that it will probably open doors, but it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. It is only a box to be checked on an application. Going to a 4 yr. college out of high school is not the only way to get your degree. This following example in the model of success in pursing flying job. We hired a 20 year old pilot a few years ago, 1 year of on-line college credit completed, started working the ramp pumping gas in high school, got hired hauling cargo in SA-227 as an F/O, at 18, got promoted to 208 Capt. at age 20, he has 1600 TT, 1100 MEL, 350 Turbine PIC, 1450 total turbine, he is started as a DA-20 F/O at $33K, he was a DA-20 Capt. the day he turned 23, he had his degree completed by the time he was 26 years old. At that time he should had 5200 TT, 4700 MEL, 5050 Turbine, 3200 hours 121 time, 1200 121 Turbo Jet PIC. He had his on-line BS degree in Aviation Management that our company helped pay for through the tuition assistance program, and no debt. He will be interviewing with the 4 or 5 year traditional college graduate for his first airline job. Which he was offered by a major, but turned it down for a Forture 5 Corporate job.

Thank you you get the picture. We all agree it has nothing to do with flying an airplane also.

Just like Fox news...you selectively quoted me. I said the degree is no guarantee someone is educated, but it is much more likely that someone with a degree is educated than someone without one.

No one thinks college makes you a better pilot. College makes you a better person to hire, which isn't about your pilot skills.

To the future pilots:

Yes, you can make more money as a welder. Go be a welder if you want money. If you want to be a pilot, get a college degree. Period. Get it after your certificates if you want, but you'll have MORE doors open with it. Even the idiot I copied above admits that.

Are you ever going to quit whining about the fact that degrees are the norm now? Get over it. There's no guarantee that someone with a degree is educated, but the chances that someone without a degree are educated are lower. Period. It is a hoop one must jump through in our society.

Hire who you want, but you should stop leading young people astray by recommending they not get a degree.

Exactamundo. I can't wait for some to throw out the fact that Bill Gates and Michael Dell were college dropouts. College is the new HS degree. One or two may slip through the legacy airline hiring cracks, but that's all.
Heck, when you think about it, you don't need a college degree to be an astronaut or President of the US.
Sounds like someone's kids couldn't get into college or someone was too cheap to pay. Wait, that gives me an idea. Sorry boys, your college fund is now Dad's coke and hooker bender in Vegas.

Exactamundo. I can't wait for some to throw out the fact that Bill Gates and Michael Dell were college dropouts. College is the new HS degree. One or two may slip through the legacy airline hiring cracks, but that's all.
Heck, when you think about it, you don't need a college degree to be an astronaut or President of the US.
Sounds like someone's kids couldn't get into college or someone was too cheap to pay. Wait, that gives me an idea. Sorry boys, your college fund is now Dad's coke and hooker bender in Vegas.

Gates and Dell, please, how about LeBron.

Even the idiot I copied above admits that.
Name calling? it just doesn't seem to be you, but then again this is FI! I have never said not to get a degree, just that a four year school right out of high school is not the only way to do it.

The gig is up yip- you're trying to sell the handful of college-averse pilots who will take that night school/online school route with you up in YIP- you get a motivated, cheap pilot who will be around quite a bit longer than most.... We get it- they can go that route if they wish- but we see the agenda you got.
Btw, college can also be an untradable, fantastic life experience if you make it one. Or it can be a box to check on an app. Your choice- I didn't go a traditional route right out of hs- but even with my CC stint I wouldn't trade any of my college experience for anything- much of which is a social education- how to work with people- how to talk to people- etc- etc-
It's made me a much better airline pilot-
IMO- my flying ability and experience got me interviews- who I am as a person, much of which was developed in college, got me jobs.

NEVER SKIMP ON YOUR TRAINING OR YOUR EDUCATION- THOSE HOLES WILL FOLLOW YOU AND HAMPER YOU THE REST OF YOUR LIFE-

Last edited:
Name calling? it just doesn't seem to be you, but then again this is FI! I have never said not to get a degree, just that a four year school right out of high school is not the only way to do it.

Sometimes you gotta call it like it is. I don't take well to being quoted in such a way to misrepresent what I'm saying.

Last time I checked a good old boy from West Virginia named Yeager had no college degree, and as I remember he was a pretty fair pilot.....

Watched The Right Stuff a few months ago. Wasn't Yeager passed up for the space program because he didn't have a degree? Guess it can cost anyone no matter who you are.

Latest resources

Back