• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage INfo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who the hell can afford to learn to fly these day? What's avgas now, $5-$6 bucks a gallon. I can't even afford to rent a plane to take visitors sightseeing these days.

There is a growing experience shortage and there appears to be a continual redefining of competitive minimums (read lower standards) to ensure there is no shortage. But on the entry level even that doesn't seem to work. We are seeing a shortage and my interview schedule is full; but then again we start at 34K.

Whats if they are 18 or 19??? Still teenagers, just legal ones! :)
There are some older guys on here with teenage girls who are probably getting a little wild and doing more than daddy would like (or probably more than daddy knows about), so some people get sensitive.

18 is legal in all 50 states.
16 in some of them.

:D

Back to the subject at hand... As long as the regionals can find pilots from SOMEWHERE, even ab initio programs, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

The majors will always have enough qualified applicants to fill the seats. They might have to lower their minimums or stop being so d*mn picky (Southwest, FDX), but the more regionals expand, the more Captains they need and, subsequently, the more qualified pilots with PIC Jet are looking for jobs at majors.

Doesn't really help our bottom line in the States.

Internationally? That's the big ticket item. Major shortage coming up in India, Japan, China, Australia, and a few EU airlines as they take BIG deliveries of 777's and soon 787's with no pilots who have ever flown those aircraft before available to hire.

If you want to see the world, THAT'S the way to do it.

I predict a 30% increase in major airline pay for the next 5 years as new contracts are ratified, then I predict that Open Skies will cause so much bleeding of the bottom line for the majors and LCC's that management will be back screaming for more concessions within 5-7 years from now.

Something new overseas. The student pilot never flies solo during training and can only fly in a crew environment.
These "crew only" pilots are missing out of the huge confidence building that solo flight develops. If this comes into being a pilot's first solo will be in an emergency situation when the other crewmember dies or is otherwise incapacitated. Not the best conditions for a first solo.

....now can you predict when pay parity shows up?

Parity? No such thing in a free-market economy. Airlines and other operators pay what the market will bear. If pilots continue to show up to fly a $25 million jet for $19 an hour, they will keep paying $19. Can you blame them? They're in the business to "make money", not to buy speed boats and third wives for pilots.

McDonalds use to pay the french-fry crew minimum wage. Today, even in small towns, they have to pay twice that or they won't have a french-fry crew. No Government, Union or anyone else told McDonalds they had to pay double the minimum wage. Those orders were issued by the free-market.

BTW, there is something called SJS that sometimes overrides normal market forces. There is no GAS, (Golden Arches Syndrone).

Parity? No such thing in a free-market economy. Airlines and other operators pay what the market will bear. If pilots continue to show up to fly a $25 million jet for $19 an hour, they will keep paying $19. Can you blame them? They're in the business to "make money", not to buy speed boats and third wives for pilots.

McDonalds use to pay the french-fry crew minimum wage. Today, even in small towns, they have to pay twice that or they won't have a french-fry crew. No Government, Union or anyone else told McDonalds they had to pay double the minimum wage. Those orders were issued by the free-market.

BTW, there is something called SJS that sometimes overrides normal market forces. There is no GAS, (Golden Arches Syndrone).

Well put. Milton Friedman would shake your hand :)

Ups and Downs

Do you guys think this is all going to last? If I learned anything in my stupid avition courses in college it was that the business has always been cyclic in nature. What will it take to maintain high pay and job security for say 20 years? YIP you are the man, you've been preaching this for a while now. By the way, I just got hired at a small cargo outfit and I'll be based in YIP. Any good bars?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back