• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage INfo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Lakeview Travern in downtown Belleville is the place. Better know as the "Wedge". PM me and I will join you there for a beer.

Man, if there's one dude I'd want to meet on here, it would be pilotyip. There's so much I'd want to pick his brain about. Sort of a funny coincidence, I used to live in Belleville. It was about 10 years ago, so I don't remember a whole lot though... Ahh Michigan... loved the lakes but they weren't salty enough.

-Goose

Something new overseas. The student pilot never flies solo during training and can only fly in a crew environment.

Yeah this is Scott Hall's answer for the shortage... When a guy about took his head off in recurrent the other day and said maybe the airline sholuld pay the pilots a good wage Scott looked at him like he was an alien. Scott is such a tool.

Scott also said the FAA wasn't too keen on the idea. Good to see the FAA get something right.

Hi!

I think it was propilot.com, but I'm not sure-I'm on about 7 aviation message boards.

cliff
GRB

Something new overseas. The student pilot never flies solo during training and can only fly in a crew environment.

Over on PPRUNE the NZ/Australian section, "GodZone & Dunnunda" they are talking about the first "batch" of multi-crew only pilots about to hatch in Oz.

Hi!

From another website...

HOLD OUT FOR MORE PAY!!!

cliff
YIP

Never.. repeat NEVER.. will we have a shortage as long as the regionals are hiring 300-400TT and then inside of 2 years those guys are captains on 50,000lb RJ's..

I wish these excited young CFI's would demand more starting pay at least... I can understand the desire to get your career started, but these guys should see the effect that they're having on the profession when they jump in both feet into a $16/hr job flying a jet!

These "crew only" pilots are missing out of the huge confidence building that solo flight develops. If this comes into being a pilot's first solo will be in an emergency situation when the other crewmember dies or is otherwise incapacitated. Not the best conditions for a first solo.

So true...

Just as there is something to be said for having a bunch of crew time before your major airline job.... it's also a good thing to have spent a few hundred hours alone, with no one else to give you so much as a tip on what to do next.

For me, (and it's been my path) Ideally, the progression of a pilot would be.. lots of instruction in the form of duel received, then a lot of solo time, and a lot of CFI time (military equiv.), and then some small aircraft crew time, with a command for at least 1000 hours in that small aircraft.. then progress into a large or heavy with inevitable command of that.

I wish these excited young CFI's would demand more starting pay at least... I can understand the desire to get your career started, but these guys should see the effect that they're having on the profession when they jump in both feet into a $16/hr job flying a jet!

I think that I may be doing that by default. Economically, I simply cannot afford to fly for a regional right now. So, I guess I'm voting with my feet, possibly heading to 135 where I can at least make enough to get by. I demand more by withholding my presence. Most regionals right now, even the "good" ones, would be a pay cut from my instructing job, and I'm barely scratching by as it is.

-Goose

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back