• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot jailed for Sicily air crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very good article in last month's Business/Commercial Aviation about the criminalization of aviation accidents. It is actually fairly common overseas and the article recounts about a dozen incidents where pilots or controllers have been arrested, charged, and imprisoned for accidents in which there was no willful negligence.

Obviously, the GOL airlines crash in Brazil is covered in great depth and it is clear systemic ATC failures in Brazil were responsible, not the crews of either aircraft. And yet, authorities continue their efforts to jail the crew of the US registered Legacy as well as several Brazilian controllers. There is also a case of the retired Chief Designer of the A-320 being criminally charged, along with several other Airbus and airline executives in the wake of a eastern European crash of a 320.

It is a very troubling trend and no matter what you might think of the Sicily event, don't allow a religious angle, even if true, make you think pilots, controllers, mechanics, or manufacturers should go to jail for accidents.

They're called "accidents.' Not "on purposes."

That's why if you're involved in accident/incident and can walk away, it's probably best to get out of that country fast.

I hate to break this to you, but he never paused to pray.......The company and the national authorities are looking for a scapegoat.

I wouldn't be so sure. Many years ago the Navy used to train the Saudis to fly jets. Prior to solo, every student had an "OCF" (Out of Control) flight where you did numerous departures and spins in the T-2 Buckeye. It was not uncommon for the Saudi students to throw up their hands and pray while the airplane spun instead of executing the recovery.:eek:

I hate to break this to you, but he never paused to pray.......The company and the national authorities are looking for a scapegoat.

Agreed. So what do you think about authorities prosecuting pilots criminaly after accidents? What prevents it from happening here in the US?

Seems to me like they were working and not praying. If I had an accident and I uttered, O God, or Godammit, are they gonna jail me, too?

You could hear praying at the end, but damn did they take forever doing the ditching check list. They did not get the Condition Levers to Feather/Fuel Shut Off until 1,100 feet?

Did they talk about flaps?

Shoot if thay had been ALPA pilots everything would have been OK cause you know they would have come to the rescue. (for those that are confused it's called sarcasm)

Maybe he grabbed the yellow-tabbed prayerbook instead of the red-tabbed one?

Anyway, I keep a statue of St. Sullenberger on top of the panel by the Whiskey compass, so I have nothing to fear in any case.

Latest resources

Back