• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot In Command Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That 500 hour PIC is the Part 1 definition .....THE person responsible....and there is ONLY ONE in an airplane at a time.....its not the loose definition in Part 61.51...

So, let me get this strait, I have 1500 hours PIC in my current aircraft. I fly EVERY leg with my Chief Pilot, who is technically responsible for the aircraft. Can I still log SIC in the left seat even though he is responsible?

I know how to log it. Sheesh

Is SOLO logged as PIC?

Take a look around you. Do you see anybody else? No? Then the PIC is you.

Back to 1.1 vs. 61.51... don't let these guys scare you to much. Airline interviewers are not dumb, they know the regs and are not going to question legally logged PIC time especially in small aircraft when you are working towards a rating. You may need that PIC time to meet a requirement and if it is legal then log it.

Now... when you put PIC time on your resume or airline applications, generally only put true "in command" (1.1) time. That is why it is helpful (but not necessary) to keep two PIC columns. If you don't keep two columns then you are going to have to go back later (perhaps with a spreadsheet or electronic logbook) and untangle it.

Personally I stopped logging 61.51 time altogether after I got my commercial certificate. I never went back and changed the previous entries and I've never had anybody bat an eyebrow. I've also known people who've continued to log 61.51 time even into the airlines, and they have not had problems so long as they made no attempt to misrepresent the time. It might even come in handy if you apply to foreign airlines. Foreign airlines have different rules and may allow you to count the time when you are SIC handling the controls (so called "PIC U/S")

So the point it, don't be scared to log legal time. Just be clear about what it is you're logging and don't try to pass it off as something else.

I listened to all the airline pilot wannabes at the flight schools and I screwed up my logbook early on with all kinds of crazy things- safety pilot, PIC and dual at the same time, 135 "empty legs" etc.

Now when I go for an interview I have to be prepared to answer to every one of those entries

A big +1 to that. I've been positively raked over the coals for 20 hours in a light twin back in the day. ExpressJet got out the thumb screws, but I recanted. Not worth the angst, even if it's legal.

Latest resources

Back