Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Fatigue finally hits the front page!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skilled trades

but when you do an equal comparison to skilled trades, or a useful degree in anything else the pay is mediocre at best. Im not complaining about the pay, its quite livable. I just think your comparison is a bit bogus.
Skilled trades?, plumbers, metal smith, auto mechanic, all the areas that like a pilot do not need a college degree?

Skilled trades?, plumbers, metal smith, auto mechanic, all the areas that like a pilot do not need a college degree?

read my post again you missed my point. Skilled trades do make good money.

Im saying that your comparison lumps pilot wages in with the minimum wage mcdonalds and walmart folks and wow, we end up in the top 25 earning bracket in the US. If you compare us with other skilled trades and degree jobs, we are not the elite earners that you imply.

last I checked the President didn't have to have a college degree either. Do most? yes... goes for Presidents and pilots <g> not that I want to degrade or chosen profession comparing it to politicians.

Last edited:
Dept of Labour

read my post again you missed my point. Skilled trades do make good money.

Im saying that your comparison lumps pilot wages in with the minimum wage mcdonalds and walmart folks and wow, we end up in the top 25 earning bracket in the US. If you compare us with other skilled trades and degree jobs, we are not the elite earners that you imply.
Only know what the dept of labour posts as wages by percentage in 2005. If you want more money, go to a job that pays more. Or do you like me; fly because you like to? BTW Don't bring the degreee in here; it has nothing to do be being a great pilot. Last NJ guys and the last SWA from here did not have degrees.

Only know what the dept of labour posts as wages by percentage in 2005. If you want more money, go to a job that pays more. Or do you like me; fly because you like to? BTW Don't bring the degreee in here; it has nothing to do be being a great pilot. Last NJ guys and the last SWA from here did not have degrees.

Again you failed to read and comprehend my posts. I stated in the first post that the pay is ok and livable. I said i didn't have a problem with the pay. I said that your comparison was bogus. You are trying to argue against a point that i didnt make.

If you want to compare pilot wages with the vast pool of minimum wage jobs it will be in the top n-th percent. But i think it is a bad comparison.

BTW Don't bring the degreee in here.

uggg. I brought up degrees because it is an expensive investment that can get you a certain job, much like flight training is an expensive investment that can get you a flying job,

just like investing nothing in education, training, vocational etc...will get you the night shift at Walmart. Talking to you is like talking to a gumball machine.

Did you just compare being a plumber to being a pilot? No offense taken, i'm just asking for clarification.
I will agree that any decently smart and hard working person can fly an airplane- but what it takes to make a flying career is much different. You didn't do it and make it to a good flying job. Why not? You choose not to fly an airplane for a living and then say that those who do are complainers? Why? Do you miss it? Did you forget what flying 4 day trip upon 5 day trip at all hours was like on the body?

There is a big difference between flying an airplane and managing one that is doing a job on a tough schedule for years on end. There is a section of pilots who have lost perspective- i will give you that. But when every pilot flying a line has certain complaints- it goes against logic to say that we are all off our rockers.

and i'll add- this career requires tremendous $$ to get started- much more than a plumber or any of those skilled trades you mentioned. Is that not valuable in the end?

Btw- All Pilots Here:

Pilotyip Is Very Typical Of What Management Thinks Of You. Those Who Have Also Worked In The Offices Can Back Me Up- Don't Forget- They Become Indoctrinated Against You. It's Just What Happens. You Do Something They Don't Everyday- And They Sit On The Ground And Judge You.

Btw- All Pilots Here:

Pilotyip Is Very Typical Of What Management Thinks Of You. Those Who Have Also Worked In The Offices Can Back Me Up- Don't Forget- They Become Indoctrinated Against You. It's Just What Happens. You Do Something They Don't Everyday- And They Sit On The Ground And Judge You.

They like to fly a desk 8 hours a day and call you a complainer if you raise the BS flag after 15 hours + hours on duty for the last six days for welfare wages.

Once a manager asked me why I had not turned in a particular piece of paperwork. I commented that i tryed but when i get to work he isn't there yet, and when I leave he has been gone for hours. I had time to turn it in one sunday but he wasn't there on the weekends.

Last edited:
Professioal training is the key

uggg. I brought up degrees because it is an expensive investment that can get you a certain job, much like flight training is an expensive investment that can get you a flying job,
Agee that is the point; you have invested in a career field; it is professional training. But it does not have to a 4 yr BS/BA degree. 10 yrs flying in the Army, after going through their high school to flight school makes you a good pilot and capable of pursuing a career, but it is not a four year degree

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back