Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Fatigue finally hits the front page!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I called in FATIGUED at NWA (mainline, DC-9 F/O) and got my walking papers. IMO, Companies really don't care about FAR's or rested & alert pilots, just GREED and the bottom line.

bottom line?

I called in FATIGUED at NWA (mainline, DC-9 F/O) and got my walking papers. IMO, Companies really don't care about FAR's or rested & alert pilots, just GREED and the bottom line.
without a bottom line there are no pilot jobs

When? Been at nwa for 13 years and never heard of a firing over a fatigue call. I think you are leaving a little something out.

Last edited:
If you have no bottom line; you have no other parts
But how you get there is the difference. Look at Southwests business practices: They take care of the employee first because that in turn will ensure the customer gets taken care of. Jump to the other side of the spectrum with United: They're taking care of the shareholder first and neglecting the employees. Consequently, they are falling behind the power curve when it comes to making money. Disgruntled employees aren't productive employees.

Why did USAJet bring up their base pay and offer education reimbursements?

without a bottom line there are no pilot jobs

when pilots crash there is no bottom line. how many scheduling practices are possible for a year or two- but over time are awful for your health? I view many of the scheduling practices in the airlines to be akin to fast food. Just as bad and you better be taking awfully good care of yourself on the few off-days you have to make up for it.

pencil pushers should have a voice- but not the SOLE voice. I've said it so many times-- it doesn't matter if you pay me $10/hour more or less... but when i stop giving a dam^-- you will begin losing money in ways that you cannot account for- and nothing diabolical- but it's human nature when you one day you just aren't going the extra mile and providing service to the customers... and it begins happening all over the company-- b/c management gets shady trying to shave off a few dollars from the employees.

And it's not as if the money that's shaven is going back into the company to make it stronger... right, yip? You DO know where that money has gone recently, don't you?

Last edited:
Even a regional Captain is in the upper 25% of US wages earners, many of them could not make that money outside of the cockpit.

depends- what does it take to get there? How many people who make that kind of money have invested as much of their own money as pilots? How many take on that kind of responsibility? How many have the talent to do what we do? Or the desire? Do capable pilots grow on trees?

You have a low opinion of pilots. It takes two pilots to fly an RJ- and one of them could easily make more money working at McDonald's.

anyone can fly an airplane

depends- what does it take to get there? How many people who make that kind of money have invested as much of their own money as pilots? How many take on that kind of responsibility? How many have the talent to do what we do? Or the desire? Do capable pilots grow on trees?

You have a low opinion of pilots. It takes two pilots to fly an RJ- and one of them could easily make more money working at McDonald's.
Anyone with a certain level of skill and desire can fly an airplane. If I can do it, anyone can. Yes I know we all have horror stories of someone who should stay 100' away from all airplanes the rest of his life. I fly as often as I can because I like to fly. 75K-90K per year to do something you like would be an unbelievable job in most people’s books. I do not have a low option of pilots, I hang around them at the airport all the time and talk airplane stories, I have a low option of people who have the job I like and complain about it.

Even a regional Captain is in the upper 25% of US wages earners, many of them could not make that money outside of the cockpit.

Apples to Oranges comparison. If you went into tech work or engineering you would make regional captain pay your first day on the job.

When compared to the 5 trillion walmart shelf stockers in the world the pay is high, but when you do an equal comparison to skilled trades, or a useful degree in anything else the pay is mediocre at best.

Im not complaining about the pay, its quite livable. I just think your comparison is a bit bogus.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back