Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Fatigue finally hits the front page!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It does take a 4 year degree.
It does b/c a full 93% hired at majors have one- and those w/o- have a MUCH harder time getting interviews, much less hired.
Recruiters want to know that you can take on an academic program and finish it successfully. Begrudge it all you want- but to say it isn't necessary is only technically correct.
But maybe that's one of your excuses for why you aren't flying for a living. And i can see that if you haven't expended the effort to get a degree- that you would value a flying career less. B/c for you, all you had to learn was to fly. The rest of us were working our tails off (having fun) and going through all the requirements to make a career out of this.

Agee that is the point; you have invested in a career field it is professional trainig, but it does not have to a 4 yr BS/BA degree. 10 yrs flying in the Army, after going through their high school to flight school makes you a good pilot and capable of pursuing a career, but it is not a four year degree

Ya with all that helo time, a person would be a very nice candidate to pay for fixed wing training so he can get that lucrative job dropping skydivers for a few thousand hours ;).

In all fairness I made the comparison between skilled trades and pilots. But it was to show that anyone with a useful skill set should be able to get a living wage.

I realize that by straight numbers a regional capt. Is in the upper 25% of US wage earners yip. But I would like to see how that number actually compares to people with degrees, or people with useful or expensive skills. Take out the burger flippers and kenny's shoes workers and lets rerun the equation.

We probably don't fall in the elite catagory that you imply that we do.

you sell helo short

Ya with all that helo time, a person would be a very nice candidate to pay for fixed wing training so he can get that lucrative job dropping skydivers for a few thousand hours ;)
Many of the Army pilots have fixed wing background, C-12, CE-560, even interviewed a G-IV Army pilot, but NJ grabbed him. Also a pilot who been flying a Blackhawk, or CH-47 has got great stick skills, great IFR skills and will normally out fly their civilian sim partner on the third night. This particularly true if the civilian has been flying piston twins; light sensitive control touch is the secret to flying a sim, the same as a helo. When it came time to be a PIC, they had already been there done that. They moved into the DC-9 after 3 months in the DA-20 with no problems. I hired every one I could get my hands they were great flyers. Then the other airlines found out about them. Don't sell your rotary wing brothers short they are a fantastic collection pilots with fantastic skills.

Last edited:
It does take a 4 year degree.
It does b/c a full 93% hired at majors have one- and those w/o- have a MUCH harder time getting interviews, much less hired.
Recruiters want to know that you can take on an academic program and finish it successfully. Begrudge it all you want- but to say it isn't necessary is only technically correct.
But maybe that's one of your excuses for why you aren't flying for a living. And i can see that if you haven't expended the effort to get a degree- that you would value a flying career less. B/c for you, all you had to learn was to fly. The rest of us were working our tails off (having fun) and going through all the requirements to make a career out of this.
BS plus MS, still could not find a good flying job. Story about a 26 yr old DC-9 Captain. Hired with us with no college degree, had our company reimburse him for tution, got his dergee almost paid for while earning 60K per year. Got hired by NWA, and said no thanks USA Jet is the place for me.

Last edited:
will normally out fly their civilian sim partner on the third night. This particularly true if the civilian has been flying piston twins; light sensitive control touch is the secret to flying a sim, the same as a helo. When it came time to be a PIC, they had already been there done that. They moved into the DC-9 after 3 months in the DA-20 with no problems. I hired every one I could get my hands they were great flyers. Then the other airlines found out about them. Don't sell your rotary wing brothers short they are a fantastic collection pilots with fantastic skills.

great, another army v civ debate. what kind of civ pilot's end up there?
knock yourself out-- it's been the opposite in my career as they do not fully understand the pitch/power relationship. (which is why recruiting dept's don't tend to accept the time) PIC is noted though as civ schools are getting too much dual/babysitting these days in the training world.
-there are exceptions to every rule- how about we just don't stereotype any background? i've seen great, average, and awful come from everywhere.

But how you get there is the difference. Look at Southwests business practices: They take care of the employee first because that in turn will ensure the customer gets taken care of. Jump to the other side of the spectrum with United: They're taking care of the shareholder first and neglecting the employees. Consequently, they are falling behind the power curve when it comes to making money. Disgruntled employees aren't productive employees.

Why did USAJet bring up their base pay and offer education reimbursements?

Not sure what you know about UAL.. but they are not taking care of the shareholders...

Please

they do not fully understand the pitch/power relationship. .
oh please! On flt number two they have it figured out. These are profesional aviators who are trained to standards in a crew concept. They are easy to teach they listen they learn and the only flight depts not hiring them are the ones who have never hired any. In 1998/9 I coudl fill my classes with Army guys if I wanted to, but by 2000 they were all being offered jobs at the regionals, and fractionals. However will admin they were wide eyed the first night in the sim when they went from 0-200 Kts ion 60 seconds

Latest resources

Back