• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Caught With Loaded Handgun at Calgary Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would first love to dispel the planted gun notion like bubba said. Is the gun his?

F^ck it if innocent until proven guilty isn't convenient.
But it's necessary- and I hope he serves time and loses his job if it's PROVEN he willfully did this.
Proof is a good thing though

Whoopsie!

Not sure if this guy was an FFDO and "forgot" that he had to do a foreign leg that day but it sure caused him a headache, which will likely be be very expensive for him. I believe the FFDO thing is about over. Not only is the present administration doing their best to de-fund it, but it is becoming less necessary for the majority of pilots who signed up for it simply to evade TSA screening and speeding tickets. The last FFDO I flew with was 5 minutes behind me every time we passed through a hub, because I could go through KCM and he had to go through the FFDO TSA screening. Since we were not hired as "skycops", it has always been a mystery to me as to why anyone would actually take the responsibility to incur even more liability in their job as a crew member, when it is not required by the FAR, for every cockpit crew member to be armed. The FFDO program is a classic knee-jerk reaction to a traumatic national event that created an expensive, government run bureaucracy, of dubious value. May it
RIP.

I'm sure the gun crowd will weigh in on that one

Not sure if this guy was an FFDO and "forgot" that he had to do a foreign leg that day but it sure caused him a headache, which will likely be be very expensive for him. I believe the FFDO thing is about over. Not only is the present administration doing their best to de-fund it, but it is becoming less necessary for the majority of pilots who signed up for it simply to evade TSA screening and speeding tickets. The last FFDO I flew with was 5 minutes behind me every time we passed through a hub, because I could go through KCM and he had to go through the FFDO TSA screening. Since we were not hired as "skycops", it has always been a mystery to me as to why anyone would actually take the responsibility to incur even more liability in their job as a crew member, when it is not required by the FAR, for every cockpit crew member to be armed. The FFDO program is a classic knee-jerk reaction to a traumatic national event that created an expensive, government run bureaucracy, of dubious value. May it
RIP.

I hope when the bad guys try to hijack your airplane you can tell them how good it is that you are not able to defend yourself, your crew and all the passengers aboard all the while trying too keep them from not crashing it into a building. But that would probably be a little hard as you would be lying in a pool of blood with your throat slit. The mere fact that there are FFDO's is a large deterrent to those that wish us harm. Or would you like to leave it to the dropouts running the scanners to protect you all the while the poorly screened A/C cleaners, airport janitors, rampers are all bypassing security with who know what.

As for costs an FFDO runs at less than a 10th of what it costs to put a FAM on board an aircraft so as government run bureaucracy goes it is a pretty good return on investment.

It is sheep like you who will allow 9/11 to happen again. Thankfully even with your lack of understanding of the threats we face their are pilots out there giving up their precious days off to train and practice defending the cockpit that will keep you safe and when you see them the proper thing to say is THANK YOU.

RIP.

He was not an FFDO and the weapon was not an FFDO-type.

The FFDO program is expanding quickly. As part of budget negotiations the house initially refused to fund all federal LEO training, but then not to look like bad guys they funded the training, but not the transportation to and from. This did not affect FFDO training because FFDOs cover their own transportation costs. In short, the FFDO program has been the fasted growing law enforcement program.

As far as budget funding, the FFDO program no longer has it's own budget, but is a continuing resolution under the FAM program, that is why it looks like it is losing funding, when it really isn't. The program actually saw greater funding in 2013 than previous years.

Because of domestic allocation of FAMs, FFDO resources have grown.

The FFDO program is not expensive but is the CHEAPEST gov program, about $15 per FFDO flight vs thousands for other LEOs, or govt officials.

nothing presented here is SSI, but is public record.

Last edited:
So when do we hear this guy's side of the story??

But Wave--

Now you have me confused..... I thought you said that you were a "gun guy." :)

Bubba

Half the gun "enthusiasts" and "survivalists" I've met and flown with, I don't want anywhere near a gun

Kinda like the guy who just posted- he's making it sound like he ought to be saluted and as respected as a soldier or cop.

Being proficient with a gun in a tactical sense takes a LOT more work than most of the yahoo gun crowd will actually do.
They'd be better served getting more fit and doing the hand to hand work than the ffdo

I wish I had some of you guys' God-like insight into this guy's motivation and thinking. We could lock people up before they commit the crime. Wait, wasn't that a movie?

It would be colossally stupid to put a gun in the bag you use for work and forget it - true. I'm not will to throw this guy under the bus because of the non-nonsensical, maniacal ravings of a couple know-it-all hoplophobes. Little wonder Dianne Feinstein is still in office.

I would purport that you would be just as guilty if you went camping in a popular spot, got marijuana seeds in the tread of your boots and deposited them in your car. Fast forward two years and you are busted at the Canadian border. You're an IDIOT as well as a felony drug smuggler. You KNEW better. People like you should not be trusted to fly airplanes. I hope they lock you up for 75 years.

Have a nice day.

I wish I had some of you guys' God-like insight into this guy's motivation and thinking. We could lock people up before they commit the crime. Wait, wasn't that a movie?

It would be colossally stupid to put a gun in the bag you use for work and forget it - true. I'm not will to throw this guy under the bus because of the non-nonsensical, maniacal ravings of a couple know-it-all hoplophobes. Little wonder Dianne Feinstein is still in office.

I would purport that you would be just as guilty if you went camping in a popular spot, got marijuana seeds in the tread of your boots and deposited them in your car. Fast forward two years and you are busted at the Canadian border. You're an IDIOT as well as a felony drug smuggler. You KNEW better. People like you should not be trusted to fly airplanes. I hope they lock you up for 75 years.

Have a nice day.

So, I see a defense argument shaping up here. Carrying a loaded weapon across an international border is equivalent to getting seeds stuck in your boot. Seems reasonable....

Latest resources

Back