• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot bill passes house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a prediction: Many logbooks will be lied in very soon.

Heyas,

How is getting to ATP times any different from the years and years when the defacto minimums at regionals/commuters/whatever where at ATP minimums or higher?

This little bubble where the regionals hired with below 1200 hours was an extremely brief episode in the overall history of things. Traditionally the minimums to get hired have been around ATP minimums anyway.

Building time to the ATP has been the traditional right of passage for all civilian pilots. Quit whining about it and get busy....

Nu

I think the bill is a good idea, I doubt it will pass "as is". You can bet the lobbyist will be all over the senators to get some amendments that loosen up some of the language to allow schools and bottom feeder airlines access to that group of pilots that they need to survive.

The bigger fear with this bill is the pilot records, for a regional pilot your company can effectively end your career growth with some discipline. Anyone above a regional will have the ability to look you up on the web before even interviewing you. Bust a line check or dequal at bottom feeder regional and your career could be over.

I am all for raising the bar coming in the front door, although at the same time if the government wants that bar raised will, they be compensated accordingly? 1500+ with extra qualifications should equal more than 20 bucks an hour.

Regardless, by the time they change the reg's, tighten up training/qualifications and then realize they can't replace those that will be retiring, I'd bet you see the age 65 go to 70.

Great bill, I don't think it is that realistic for how our industry is

The bigger fear with this bill is the pilot records, for a regional pilot your company can effectively end your career growth with some discipline. Anyone above a regional will have the ability to look you up on the web before even interviewing you. Bust a line check or dequal at bottom feeder regional and your career could be over.

How is this any different from PRIA -- another bit of legislation which was born from a commuter crash?

I think the bill is a good idea, I doubt it will pass "as is". You can bet the lobbyist will be all over the senators to get some amendments that loosen up some of the language to allow schools and bottom feeder airlines access to that group of pilots that they need to survive.

You give too much credit that bottom feeders have a strong lobby.

[/QUOTE]The bigger fear with this bill is the pilot records, for a regional pilot your company can effectively end your career growth with some discipline. Anyone above a regional will have the ability to look you up on the web before even interviewing you. Bust a line check or dequal at bottom feeder regional and your career could be over.

I'm ok with all that! Right off the bat you prevent the BUF accident.

[/QUOTE]Regardless, by the time they change the reg's, tighten up training/qualifications and then realize they can't replace those that will be retiring, I'd bet you see the age 65 go to 70.

Great bill, I don't think it is that realistic for how our industry is[/QUOTE]

Normally I'd agree legslation like this would take some time, but my opinion is that this will be relatively fast-tracked. The travel public is a much strong lobby.

How is this any different from PRIA -- another bit of legislation which was born from a commuter crash?

C'mon, I know I can name at least a dozen pilots who were hired with questionable PRIA's. The point I am making is they got the interview and had the opportunity to explain what the PRIA "may hold".

With the new legislation, a potential employer can look you up before selecting you for an interview. They can disqualify you before even giving you a chance to explain.

PRIA is good, but obviously it has flaws, that is why the new legislation to fix the flaws.

Normally I'd agree legslation like this would take some time, but my opinion is that this will be relatively fast-tracked. The travel public is a much strong lobby.

I agree the traveling public is a much stronger lobby, how many of the traveling public still remember the CMR incident in LEX? My point is give it some time and the public forgets. BUF could have been prevented, so could have LEX.

Latest resources

Back