• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIEDMONT Training Class Aug 13th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talk to him all you want. He ain't upgrading anytime soon.

Maybe he's been there longer than 3 years. Any which way there is a misunderstanding, so just know if you're going to PDT, don't think that 3 year guys can upgrade right now. Something has to change at PDT, but my crystal ball just looks cloudy as usual. Maybe it'll be 2 year upgrades like 8 years ago soon, it'll suddenly be the place to be with all kinds of FI posts asking about the upgrade time.

Son, you've got a hell of a lot to learn about the airline world.

Son-- I'm 43 and haven't been called son in a while Thanks
You are right though I DO have a lot to learn about the airline world, I plan on learning everything I can from you guys who have been there a while.

There's 80 or so of us lowly FO's who've been slaving at this company for three or more years and have supported it through 14 hour days, junior mans, reserve, 8 and 9 hour overnights, incorrect paychecks, disrespectful flight support staff, etc. The company has shown it's support by closing bases, no upgrades, and now paying new guys this bonus while our efforts go unnoticed and unappreciated.

I am truly sorry the company is treating you this way, I think it is unfair to the loyal ones who have stayed and done their job and done it well. You guys deserve a bonus for staying. It only seems fair.

I know, I know... If I don't like it... quit... That seems to be the mantra of all you new guys and old timer KoolAid drinkers.

If you truly hate it and it is affecting your personal life so negatively you have no choice but to move on for your own sanity. If you think it will get better and you can deal with the ups and downs stay on.

Rather than quit, I decided I'd spend my extra time trying to make this a better place to work. On top of that, if pilots in my seniority range quit in droves as the more junior crowd has, you'll be in even deeper ******************** as captains find other jobs, and few if any FO's have the required time to upgrade.

Thank you for trying to make it a better place to work. I look forward to getting good advice from you and other seasoned veterans.

I would think with the attrition rate that you guys who have been there for 3 years + should have the time to upgrade.

Yes my friends, that is the next saga of the PDT soap opera.[/quote]

I've calmed down a little bit- I've been sifting through a lot of e-mails regarding scheduling's predatory practices lately and it took my nose out of joint.

Dav- the attrition rate is the bottom of the list. That's all. 1/3 of the FOs on property were hired this year, and I'm certain a vast majority of which only showed up for the 5 grand to move on to a grossly underpaid jet job.

You will learn a tremendous amount of information in the next few months. The best lesson to take on early is this: Ya know jack squat about this profession. My several thousand hours of airtime is nothing compared to a 20 year captain, and I know it. Humility on the flight deck goes farther than competence when you're new; you don't need to do much to prove you have the right attitude and truth be told, all bets are off that you're an asset right out of SOE. I know, because I was there.

So your focus right now should be learning about the machine you'll be moving my wife around in, and getting ready for one hell of a learning process.

Look forward to the excitement of your first takeoff and crash landing (folks will be on board, and it will be less than soft)- and work hard now so you're as ready for them as you can possibly be.

And a little hint: Don't be that guy.

I've calmed down a little bit- I've been sifting through a lot of e-mails regarding scheduling's predatory practices lately and it took my nose out of joint.

Dav- the attrition rate is the bottom of the list. That's all. 1/3 of the FOs on property were hired this year, and I'm certain a vast majority of which only showed up for the 5 grand to move on to a grossly underpaid jet job.

You will learn a tremendous amount of information in the next few months. The best lesson to take on early is this: Ya know jack squat about this profession. My several thousand hours of airtime is nothing compared to a 20 year captain, and I know it. Humility on the flight deck goes farther than competence when you're new; you don't need to do much to prove you have the right attitude and truth be told, all bets are off that you're an asset right out of SOE. I know, because I was there.

So your focus right now should be learning about the machine you'll be moving my wife around in, and getting ready for one hell of a learning process.

Look forward to the excitement of your first takeoff and crash landing (folks will be on board, and it will be less than soft)- and work hard now so you're as ready for them as you can possibly be.

And a little hint: Don't be that guy.

IMHO, you guys were a bit rough on this guy, but this post is right on. No way advice to a new FO could be summed up better than this.

You guys need to bear in mind that a lot of the hostility you encounter here and on the line is born of years of abuse... Steadily increasing in intensity since 9/11.

If you come to Piedmont, you will learn the real meaning of abuse. It is doable, but be ready to be tired... Really, truly, absolutely exhausted. I have been for about 6 months now.

You'll have fun your first 4 months on the line. You will have everything down pat to where you can finally look out the window with your spare time. Now you will see that jet. Sitting in the Dash will make any jet look as shiny as a coin.

Eventually you will make the move to the dark side. But keep one thing in mind, Ladies Love Props! LLP

MU2 OUT!

You'll have fun your first 4 months on the line. You will have everything down pat to where you can finally look out the window with your spare time. Now you will see that jet. Sitting in the Dash will make any jet look as shiny as a coin.

Eventually you will make the move to the dark side. But keep one thing in mind, Ladies Love Props! LLP

MU2 OUT!

I've heard more than a few pilots who fly jets miss the Dash...hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as those guys do/did.

Thanks for the advice. I will take all suggestions to heart.

Now I have a question that I can't find the answer to in my pre-groundschool manuals.

How is the fuel heated?
a. By bleed air
b. By hydraulic fluid
c. By hot engine lubricating oil
d. By cabin air

Hah...we just finished ground school and there are a few questions in the systems test that can be somewhat ambiguous. Best advice I can give you is meet with your class early in SBY and go over each test together, question by question. Also, bond as a group as soon as you can. It makes things a lot easier and there is no way you can go through AQP all by yourself.

As far as your original question goes, the fuel is heated by hot engine oil. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest resources

Back