• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never understood these avia degree preferences. It really has nothing to do with the job. Your scrap book of CRJ and ERJ-175 presentations at Harvard of the skies, goes a long way in DAsh8 ground school... They should put they prefer people that have experience applying for food stamps and are able to get a good night sleep in the back of a plane or on a couch so as to be rested for the 5am show.

Maybe the big names like UND or ERAU have slipped since they've been trying to just pump out crj pilots, but the aviation degree is by no means worthless, especially if it came from a school that seemed to produce a more well-rounded pilot, like some of the small colleges that have great aviation programs that don't try to just produce an rj fo...
"Aviation degree has nothing to do with the job" (of an airline pilot)? Really?

Last edited:
Anyone wants to fly those old piece of ----- Dash 8? send your resume to jurassic park.

I mean Piedmont Airlines....

I doubt I am alone on this, but basically since day one of commercial flying I have flown nothing but old junk. My hours in the profile are about up to date. Old cessna's, seneca's, duchess, beech 1900's, saab's, MD80's......all other people's old discarded junk. Many cargo pilot's fly nothing but old junk too. I enjoyed flying them all. So many people get to fly the modern RJ's, but not all. I think most of the Airbus at USAir and United are pretty old now too.

I doubt I am alone on this, but basically since day one of commercial flying I have flown nothing but old junk. My hours in the profile are about up to date. Old cessna's, seneca's, duchess, beech 1900's, saab's, MD80's......all other people's old discarded junk. Many cargo pilot's fly nothing but old junk too. I enjoyed flying them all. So many people get to fly the modern RJ's, but not all. I think most of the Airbus at USAir and United are pretty old now too.

Yea the airbuses are old, most of the UA and US airbuses still fly on Windows 98.

but the aviation degree is by no means worthless,

Yea it is worthless if you're trying to be a pilot. You don't need an avia degree to put the gear up or write up a broken plane.

Funny, almost everyone I have ever ran into. They can have 4 different Type rating. Jets, big or small. Each one will say the Dash 8 was there favorite plane to fly.

Hands down. If flying a Dash paid what flying a Boeing paid, I'd fly it in a second. Boeing's easier to fly too.
NYB

Maybe the big names like UND or ERAU have slipped since they've been trying to just pump out crj pilots, but the aviation degree is by no means worthless, especially if it came from a school that seemed to produce a more well-rounded pilot, like some of the small colleges that have great aviation programs that don't try to just produce an rj fo...

In my experience from 2000-2007, ERAU in DAB has done just that. Pumping out RJ pilots who only know how to fly within a small well defined "box", with no experience outside of that box. I felt like I learned a lot of information that didn't really help when I got my first job. But then again, I don't fly an RJ so maybe I'd be super at it.

I have yet to figure out why airlines place so much emphasis on an aviation type degree. I think it makes you a worse pilot actually. As soon as a captain tells me he went to ERAU I prepare for the worst. That degree is worthless if you lose your medical at some point. You could move to the management side of the airlines but that's about it or run an FBO.

I have a business degree which is pretty useless working in management for the airlines because an airline seems to be the most poorly run business on the planet next to the United States. It amazes me the decisions that the various airlines out there make from a business standpoint. Alot of them make zero sense. But what do I know.

I have yet to figure out why airlines place so much emphasis on an aviation type degree. I think it makes you a worse pilot actually. As soon as a captain tells me he went to ERAU I prepare for the worst. That degree is worthless if you lose your medical at some point. You could move to the management side of the airlines but that's about it or run an FBO.

I have a business degree which is pretty useless working in management for the airlines because an airline seems to be the most poorly run business on the planet next to the United States. It amazes me the decisions that the various airlines out there make from a business standpoint. Alot of them make zero sense. But what do I know.

That's because airlines survive based on the selling of a dollar product for 50 cents. That's why it will never make sense to business grads. Maybe that's what an AVIA degree does, explain how airlines are able to burn money and still operate the next day.

And I agree on the riddle thing, I was passing time with a riddle grad and we ran into another riddle grad CA from a major. They started talking about the most random things when they found out they were both alums.

Latest resources

Back