• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Picking up extra work with guys on the street

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Happened at my company also. Back in 2008 I was in the CLT crewroom and 2 AB guys were basically high-fiving about what they were picking up from open time and how many hours they got out of it. I pointed out to them that we just furloughed about 100 guys and I was 25 numbers from getting the ax myself. One shrugged his shoulders and walked away and the other looked at the time on his Rolex then signed in for his trip and walked out without picking up his head or looking at anyone else in the crewroom.

A lot of APA pilots fly max time with thousands of fellow pilots on furlough. It's disgraceful, but there you have it.

Oh yes, Alaska has a bevy of stand-up folks more than willing to pick up open time with guys (still) on the street. They were so proud of their work ethic they got the company to remove the names from the computer making it (slightly) harder to figure out who these great men are....

Now, once everyone is back...playball. Until that day, well....

Yeah, a couple friends furloughed at Alaska(were) told me you've got a fair share of wonderful human beings. We've got a bunch at AWA, er I mean US Airways West. Several pilots suggested lowering line time to diminish furloughs and give furloughs part of the profit sharing, since the company was making money(but furloughing). There was an outcry from all the wonderful human beings. Hope they get what they deserve.

Hey, I give credit to the guys that challenge ALPA and try to make it better. But you do realize, that NetJets is not ALPA.

Got it, Zippy. The originator of the thread wanted input from 121 guys.
But you do realize, that most 121 guys are ALPA

I shudder to think....

Ask Fubi about the Alaska pilots. There were literally hundreds of guys flying extra while they had furloughees.

Gup

Hey Gup. If we ever got into a furlough scenario (no company is 100% immune) I would bet our guys picking up any OT would be at the same level as any other carrier.
I would say 1 out of 3 captains I fly with are high time flyers for whatever reason. I recall reading on our form one captain even stated he would continue to pick up in the event of a furlough.
When our section 6 re-opens I will support any language to block OT in the event of a furlough.
I would have no problem pilots picking up from pilots or ELITT into a higher paying trip.
I hope we never have to worry about this scenario.

Every airline has their weak sisters. We have plenty of guys going above and beyond in order to "help out." Each and every one rationalizes it in their own, special way.

A lot of guys I fly with contradict themselves- they say, w/o a doubt, they would accept lower line totals to prevent a furlough- and I believe them- but then you have a whole lot who can't really afford not to- they set up way too much of their life on debt and obligation-
Then, of course there was capt d-bag publicly saying in '09 that we should furlough so his pairing and line values could be back up to normal- everybody's got their 10%- and every airline has their 1%.
It's a pretty shameful thing though, picking up with pilots furloughed-

greed + you not liking your family/having no interests in life = working more than you have to for an airline.

It's why age 65 has f-ed this industry up too.

As with all things, there is WAY more to this story than the originator of this thread would have you believe.

Latest resources

Back