• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Picken's $700 Billion Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are drilling at a 45* (directional drilling) and they are limited on hitting the "Big pool". So Mr. Smart AZZ I never mentioned that oil was a single US commodity. BUT why are we not in there as well pumping it out. There is only so many rigs (4 to be exact) that the Canadians can get in the location needed to do the directional drilling. The oil pumped out of Alaska would most likely never be refined in the U.S. SO what, it adds to the overall supply. The Canadians are also having logistical problmems getting the oil shipped out. They trans-Canadian pipeline is not done, so they are limited that way as well. We have a 900 mile pipeline in place, another 58 miles of flat tundra to plug into it! Big deal. It would mean jobs for Americans as well. Go back to your load of crap and eat it.

You didn't provide a rebuttal to my previous post: Just where are these Canadian rigs that are directional drilling underneath ANWAR? My strong suspicion is that you can't back it up because there is no factual evidence.

Here's an interestiong point:The Energy Information Administration does not feel ANWR will affect the global price of oil when past behaviors of the oil market are considered. "The opening of ANWR is projected to have its largest oil price reduction impacts as follows: a reduction in low-sulfur, light crude oil prices of $0.41 per barrel (2006 dollars) in 2026 for the low oil resource case, $0.75 per barrel in 2025 for the mean oil resource case, and $1.44 per barrel in 2027 for the high oil resource case, relative to the reference case."[33] "Assuming that world oil markets continue to work as they do today, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) could neutralize any potential price impact of ANWR oil production by reducing its oil exports by an equal amount.

Now I'm not against drilling up there because I think it would help reduce (a small amount be reduce nonetheless) our trade deficit and would continue to sustain the high wage jobs here in the US. As I said before I have flown in that area (where I saw no evidence of Canadian rigs on their side of the border) and the oil companies run a pretty clean show up there, the problems with the broken feeder pipeline in the past year's time not withstanding.

Just received this email. When I joined a little over a week ago there were 30,000 people. Now there are over 150,000!

Maybe Americans can get this energy thing fixed? We just can't wait on the government to do it but have to do it ourselves.....

If you haven't joined the Pickens plan. JOIN and ask all your friends and family to join!!
www.pickensplan.com

.The Weekly Pickens

July 22, 2008
Hello from the Pickens Plan!

We've been busy. Very busy.

Since launching the Pickens Plan website just two weeks ago, over 150,000 people have joined our cause to help end America's addiction to foreign oil—and that's just the beginning.

On Tuesday, T. Boone Pickens testified about America's energy problems before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee.

Last week, we scored our first major victory when the state of Texas approved a massive new wind power project. You can read all about the monumental undertaking—including mention of the Pickens Plan—here.

In other news, ABC's Nightline visited Sweetwater, Texas with T. Boone to see what all the fuss was about. There they discovered that “In Sweetwater wind has changed the future, and led to an economic turnaround in a place best known for its annual rattlesnake roundup.”

T. Boone also appeared on CBS This Morning, Lou Dobbs on CNN, and Fox News. And Carl Pope, Executive Director of the Sierra Club, declared: “To put it plainly, T. Boone Pickens is out to save America.”

That's not all. T. Boone and the Pickens Plan were in the pages of USA Today, The Economist, the New York Times, Forbes, the Washington Post, and his hometown paper the Amarillo Globe-News. There were op-eds from T. Boone in the Wall Street Journal and New York Daily News.

Meanwhile, over on the Pickens Plan website, we've launched a new blog called The Daily Pickens. There you can find up-to-the-minute news of the Pickens Plan, along with video messages from T. Boone. If you haven't already, check out the Pickens Plan Community, where you can meet and interact with fellow Pickens Plan supporters.

Finally, this weekend Pickens Plan supporters across the country will be throwing house parties, where they will discuss alternative energy, local energy challenges, and how to work with the Pickens Plan campaign in order to achieve real-world solutions. To find a party near you—or to learn how to throw your own house party—click here.

Thank you for your support of the Pickens Plan. With your help, we can change America.

—Team Pickens

Hey Jetflyer, CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed Pickens. Here is what he said:

BLITZER: What about drilling offshore? There's a debate. As you know, McCain says, yes, go ahead and drill off the coasts of Florida and California. Obama says, no. You're an oilman. What do you say?

PICKENS: OK. McCain says, OK off the East and West Coasts. I say East, West Coast and ANWR. Get it all. I mean, to get off of foreign oil, that is the enemy. Get everything you can get. You cannot drill your way out of it. But you're drilling, and whatever you are able to find and put into the domestic system will help us. But you -- you aren't going to be able to find enough to take care of all the imports that we have.
BLITZER: What about nuclear?

PICKENS: Nuclear, fine, do it. Anything in America, do it, and get off of foreign oil.
(emphasis added)

So Jetflyer, I'll put you down as in the McCain camp on energy policy. I'm glad to see you're finally getting some common sense.

Last edited:
Got any sources (credible) on this one? There is uranium in NM and other places in the US. The mines have been shut down for a while due to lack of US demand.

OMG!! You purport to comment intelligently on the energy question and you're not even aware of the serious shortage in uranium?? Or the fact that uranium is in much shorter supply than crude oil??!!

LMAO!! YGBSM!! I thought every intelligent person knew that! Guess not.

Uranium shortage poses threat

By Angela Jameson, Industrial Correspondent

A GLOBAL shortage of uranium could jeopardise plans to build a new generation of nuclear power stations in Britain.

The dearth of uranium will be discussed at the World Nuclear Association’s symposium in London next month and could prove to be a major stumbling block in the nuclear industry’s attempt to have old nuclear power stations replaced with modern reactors.

While Britain has no plans to begin building a new generation of nuclear reactors, pressure has been growing to take a decision to restart a nuclear programme as a way of cutting carbon dioxide emissions that lead to climate change and reducing Britain’s reliance on imported gas.

However, a recent report by the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada said that there was likely to be a 45,000-tonne shortage of uranium in the next decade, largely because of growing Chinese demand for the metal. Prices for uranium have almost tripled, to about $26/lb between March 2003 and May 2005, after being stable for years.

According to the Organisation for Economic Co- operation and Development’s Nuclear Agency’s “red book” — its statistical study of world uranium resources and demand — the world consumed 67,000 tonnes of uranium in 2002. Only 36,000 tonnes of this was produced from primary sources, with the balance coming from secondary sources, in particular ex- military sources as nuclear weapons are decommissioned.

In 2001 the European Commission said that at the current level of uranium consumption, known uranium resources would last 42 years. With military and secondary sources, this life span could be stretched to 72 years. Yet this rate of usage assumes that nuclear power continues to provide only a fraction of the world’s energy supply. If capacity were increased six-fold, then the 72-year supply would last just 12 years.

Paul Mobbs, an environmental campaigner, said: “It would be unwise to advocate adopting the nuclear option when we have no realistic idea of how long the uranium resources will last. We would very quickly shift from shortages of oil and coal to shortages of uranium.”

Philip Dewhurst, chairman of the Nuclear Industry Association, said: “Increased demand for uranium is going to be a factor, but the industry believes that nuclear power has served the UK very well and that we should look at the issue of replacing those generators that are due to be closed, whether the uranium supply is plentiful or not.”

China has said that it intends to build 40 new nuclear power stations by 2020. Last month, Canadian officials confirmed that China wants to buy Canadian uranium and to participate in joint mining ventures.

Canada is the world’s largest uranium producer.
Uranium mining production peaked in 2001. Experts believe that it will take more than ten years to open new mines.

Link: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/industrials/article555314.ece

OMG!! You purport to comment intelligently on the energy question and you're not even aware of the serious shortage in uranium?? Or the fact that uranium is in much shorter supply than crude oil??!!

LMAO!! YGBSM!! I thought every intelligent person knew that! Guess not.

I guess you really showed me smart guy.

I pasted some other info below. Enjoy... If you want to know the sources - there is this great tool called google. Spend about 15 minutes and you will find many more.

"...A prominent use of uranium from mining is as fuel for nuclear power plants. As of 2008, known uranium ore resources which can be mined at about current costs are estimated to be sufficient to produce fuel for about a century, based on current consumption rates.[1]"...

" ...World nuclear energy capacity is expected to grow from 372 GWe in 2007 to between 509 GWe (+38%) and 663 GWe (+80%) by 2030. To fuel this expansion, annual uranium requirements are anticipated to rise to between 94 000 tonnes and 122 000 tonnes, based on the type of reactors in use today. The currently identified resources are adequate to meet this expansion. Deployment of advanced reactor and fuel cycle technologies could increase the long-term availability of nuclear energy from a century to thousands of years..."

Last edited:
Regarding uranium supplies. It's just like any other commodity; as the price increases there will be more "available" because it becomes more economically viable to go after the harder to recover, smaller batches.

You're not incorrect in reporting that uranium demand is way up and there needs to be more on the market. But do you have to do it so self-righteusly and condescendingly, in a Dr. Laura kind of way? I guess it is flightinfo.

I think countries not infected with American Democrat type self-loathing are recycling their nuclear fuel.

The Brits are restarting their civil nuclear power program:

Business Secretary John Hutton today confirmed the Government will establish a National Nuclear Laboratory, and launch a competition to appoint a commercial operator to run the organisation.
The National Nuclear Laboratory will become an international centre of excellence in nuclear research and development, playing a vital role in cleaning up both the UK's nuclear waste legacy, and also contributing to the programme of nuclear new build....
It is now clear nuclear power will need to continue to play a crucial role in our low carbon future.
http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/20143

July 24, 2008

They should probably set up a ring of windmills around Congress.

Or they can finally put them off the Vineyard....ohh wait, but then the Kennedy's can't sail!
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed.../2006/05/07/kennedy_doesnt_play_by_the_rules/

I sure can't find a Natural Gas Pump at any gas station I have been too.
This technology and system isn't ready to go yet here in America. Possibly in the future.

Hell, drain the "premium" tanks under each service station. Who the hell is still using that stuff at these prices? Then fill it with Natural, and update the pumps as needed, and place a "natural gas" sticker over the "premium."

Problem Solved.

Jim,
I've ALWAYS said drill ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE and to do EVERYTHING including nuclear, coal to oil, etc.

Pickens thinks the same way like you pointed out. Why?

Because he knows the scope of the problem.

He's been saying we're at PEAK OIL for the last three years. He's one of us you know doomsdayers that are trying to wake people up so we can have a great future.

I hope he can help us have that great future!!

Latest resources

Back