• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIC Time for upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So some are gonna have to go rent a 172 or something when it becomes time to upgrade if they dont have the 250?? Seems like a complete waste o' money for something that is unnecessary.
I agree that it is a waste, but what can you do?

I agree that it is a waste, but what can you do?

I dunno, how bout get some PIC time before you ever apply for a job in the first place. Everyone's worried about how they can upgrade without PIC. I'm worried about those people that have to fly with the new captain that has no PIC. What's worse for this industry-- new captains having to rent 172's to fufill the PIC requirement, or a bunch of lawn dart RJ's in the future? IF they want to waive the PIC requirement, why don't they just start handing out those multi-crew licenses that are used in Europe.

I'm sure it can be waived. I know captains who were in the guard or reserve's who didn't any PIC or even 1500 TT who still got an ATP and type. Your ops specs or POI might be different.

The international thing shouldn't be an issue... You'll probably have built enough PIC before ever finishing LOE... Cripes!!!

XJET apparently had an issue with this last year with a few guys. All they did was make sure they didn't do any Canada/Mexico flying till they got the required PIC so as not to be restricted.

XJET goes to those place plenty, but not really a big deal.

All I can write is wow.

Those who've had the easiest time entering this profession are now concerned about how "difficult" and "unfair" it is that they be expected to comply with a rule requiring a paltry amount of actual decision making experience...in a 152 no less.

I've seen a handful of students in the past who were somewhat reluctant to get in an airplane and fly by themselves, but I never thought they'd become airline pilots.

For those who are short the requirements, do yourself a favor:

1. Lock your flight school / airline "standards manual" in a safe somewhere...you're not allowed to take it to your local FBO.

2. Rent a 152/172, and get in it without an instructor.

3. Go have some fun and learn how to make good decisions.

4. Get over your ingrained fear that you'll surely die if you don't have a book to consult, dispatch, or maintenance available by radio if a cumulus cloud should find itself on your path or a circuit breaker should pop.

5. Walk away from your local FBO a better pilot. Perhaps the self respect you gained from not looking for the easiest way to get qualified for your job will allow you to leave your backpack in the trunk of your car before you start your next three day trip.

All I can write is wow.

Those who've had the easiest time entering this profession are now concerned about how "difficult" and "unfair" it is that they be expected to comply with a rule requiring a paltry amount of actual decision making experience...in a 152 no less.

Yep, ditto what V-1 and Dingo said. I can't believe I'm reading this whiny drivel... some of you guys have had it so easy to get the airline job; straight from flight school into the right seat of an RJ, and now you whine that you can't upgrade because you have virtually no PIC time? Waahhhh. Quit whining about it and go get some solo time in a Tomahawk or something, or perhaps even a taildragger, where you actually have to fly the thing. You know, be a PIC.

It's kinda scary when you think about it; you might have a new RJ captain fresh out of IOE (with no previous PIC time) paired up with a 100 hr in seat FO straight outta Riddle (also no PIC time).... it's the blind leading the blind.

Yep, ditto what V-1 and Dingo said. I can't believe I'm reading this whiny drivel... some of you guys have had it so easy to get the airline job; straight from flight school into the right seat of an RJ, and now you whine that you can't upgrade because you have virtually no PIC time? Waahhhh. Quit whining about it and go get some solo time in a Tomahawk or something, or perhaps even a taildragger, where you actually have to fly the thing. You know, be a PIC.

It's kinda scary when you think about it; you might have a new RJ captain fresh out of IOE (with no previous PIC time) paired up with a 100 hr in seat FO straight outta Riddle (also no PIC time).... it's the blind leading the blind.

Yeah genius, because boring holes through the sky solo, in a Tomahawk, makes you much more qualified to fly with an F/O, in an RJ.

Latest resources

Back