• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are alot of PFT Captains at NetJets, and the regionals who have been there going on 15 years, they are making good money. It was a sign of the times inthe 90's until the PFT pool dryed up. I was ready to PFT at ACA (Indy Air)in 1996, but I could not live on first year F/O's pay. If I had known I would make Captain in about three months after getting on line, I would have leaped at the job. Ah! hindsight. PFT verus unempolyment for a job you can live on, tuff choice.

enigma said:
PFT is one of the reasons that wages have fallen do dramatically.

Enigma, I would argue that PFT does not help the low wage issue, but it is not the reason that wages are pathetically low... For a moment, take the concept/practice of PFT completely out of the picture... are wages now going to improve? Absolutely not. As long as an oversupply of qualified pilots line up to take FO jobs at $18k/yr, wages will remain low, or move lower.

Every pilot who takes one of these jobs validates management's position that they're costing out pilot salaries appropriately. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if wages moved even lower... heck, I don't think these airlines would stop seeing a steady stream of eager applicants even at $12k/yr.

SW and the B737 type

If you have to buy a B737 type to get hired at SW, is that considered PFT?

X

Actually the PFT job at ACA in 1996 paid about $4k a year more than a non-PFT job.

Snakum said:
I never really understood the furor over Hooter's BBQ Hot Wings. They are merely average, to me. We have a local joint called JP Looney's, however, that has the most awesomely scrumptious wings I've ever eaten. Just unbelievable!

The Hooters taste test must be influenced by all the boobies bouncing around while you're eating 'em.

Minh

Are you talking about the JP Looneys on Holden Rd?

XTW said:
If you have to buy a B737 type to get hired at SW, is that considered PFT?

X

No...that is not PFT. Its just another qualifaction that you have to meet.

RichardRambone said:
This heats up guys like me that are slowly but surely getting experience the real way. PFT pilots arent real pilots in my book.
yea, and I had to walk to school 10 miles, barefoot through snow, uphill - both ways ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
RichardRambone said:
PFT pilots arent real pilots in my book.

Spoken by the man with all of 650 hours TT. Yeah, you're the real pilot and the guys at Comair that PFT'd back in '91 who are now senior Captains are just posers. :rolleyes:

The more traditional definition that caused resentment was when a "student" who was paying for training was replacing a job that should have been a paid one.

The fact that you needed a 737 rating to be hired was not PFT nor did it have to do much with ratings.

In the early days at Gulfstream as example, the 402's would have a pilot and a student. The student was paying to be there and build time. This was a gray area as the fact is the aircraft could have been flown by a crew of one so the student was really not replacing someone's job.

There have been others -- Tab (forget what you thought of the company had another concept... their students actually flew King Airs like an airline would. That way they were getting supposed airline type experrience in a multi engine turbine aircraft, a very desired time to other employers.

While the debate will go on, the fact is that the traditional path of doing flight instruction and then trying to find sic jobs in multi engine turbine equipment may or may not appeal to all. Those with resources seek to speed up the process.

When I learned to fly, we knew we were going to seek multi engine instrument licenses. We bought a plane and our training was always geared to that from the start. We were doing instrument work from the get go. We could have just done the single engine private pilot thing for all the hours or we could expedite it. We went the more efficent way.

TIS said:
How do you get the sauce stains out of your shirt/tie before the pax show up again? The food's worth it but time is limited and the options are few.

TIS

I don't know about bbq stains, but the guy I was flying with once had some Oxy clean with him. Just before the pax showed up, I had a meatball make four perfect bounces down my shirt like a boulder bounicing down a mountain. He had the oxy clean "stick" which is easy to carry and did the job!!

Latest resources

Back