• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Per Diem or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like per diem because it offers much more flexibility. It is tax free and you are not missing out on any benefits if you prefer to bring food with you and stock up at the grocery store while you are on the road. It is pretty hard to eat healthy food at restaurants at any price. When I at restaurants my per diem easily covers 3 decent meals a day. I also hate collecting receipts.

Make sure they are also paying for the littly things that per diem is also there for like if you have to get some dry cleaning done while your on the road or the rare phone calls from the hotel room. Even a movie every few days in the hotel room.

Amen to that Brotha!!
If anybody thinks that they are making money on Per-diem is just fooling themselves.

Whatever, dude. I make a ton of money on my per diem, and I ain't fooling myself. I would be seriously ticked off if they took away my per diem and forced me to pay for food on a company card.

Per diem leads to pilots eating poorly trying to save money.

IMHO its better to just enjoy yourself during RON or long days.

I eat for free on the road and I eat well/healthy.

After a long day of work, I look forward to a good dinner at PF Changs or Cheesecake Factory, not a Subway sandwich.

That pretty well sums up my opinion.

I do per diem most always, especially if going into places like Europe. Last time I was in Paris for a week, the per diem was $580 USD per day. Even after the company gave me a cash advance, I still ended up pocketing over a grand.

The company that I am working for right now is paying per diem however they want to switch over to the company CC and I don't think it's a good idea.
I personally look forward to that extra cash in the check. And I would really hate to have someone wathcing over my expenses and telling me that I am spending too much on food know what I mean?

Latest resources

Back