• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Per Diem or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And I would really hate to have someone wathcing over my expenses and telling me that I am spending too much on food know what I mean?

I could not agree more. Also, with Per Diem you have the option to eat well every day if you choose to do so (and sometimes I do).

Last edited:
If my company allowed beer on my company CC'd id really be in favor of company cc's... i still prefer per-diem

In my experience, per-diem encourages the "slam-clickers" that don't want to go out for dinner because they are saving their $1.70/hour.
I second this. Nothing like going to a resturaunt by yourself:rolleyes:

I think the people who are "saving their money" may not have had the benefits of a company CC before.

I would say its would all depend on your company. I worked for this one company where I had the cc. The cheap #@$#! that owned the company would question every charge on every trip. It got very old having to justify and defend every nickel. One 2 day trip I had a $150.00ish total food charges for 2 pilots, 3 meals each and he blew a gasket and threatened to start giving us per diem. I told him go ahead, If we had per diem, I would have extra cash sitting in my pocket from it. Once he calmed down, he realized that he was saving money with the CC and that we were being responsible with the CC. But this is the same guy we would fly across the county so he could go to some strip joint and he would spend almost 20K at the club (that is not including the cost of the trip) without blinking an eye.

Our company just switched from per diem to reimbursing us for our meals. I love the new change. I find myself eating a lot healthier and having better meals than before and the company is giving me free airline miles on my credit card. :)

I have used both systems. My current company does not use per diem. I wish they did, because I often don't eat much so I could pocket alot of extra money. It depends on your eating habits. If you like to eat alot of expensive meals then perdiem would be a bad option. If you live off free hotel breakfast and subway, then you'll make money on the perdiem system.

Plus the extra per diem can be used for entertainment on the road, ie... movies, golf, museums.....plenty of other things to do with it. Good luck trying to expense these things if you lose the perdiem system.

I know this sounds childish, but some of the pilots at my company who think they are making a point, purposely buy alot of extra food and desserts that they don't eat. They often give it to the bums out on the street. Good cause...... but for the wrong reasons. These pilots think by spending extra on the expense report, the company will switch to per diem and save money. I guess they think they are sticking it to the man. I don't think this tactic works because they've been doing this for years and no mention from management about changes has ever come about.

Ok here is the deal on per diem. I have 2 friends that work for different companies. One gets $60 a day per diem, one gets a company credit card to spend for meals on the road. My friend with the per diem gets about $1000 a month tax free. Thats an extra $12,000 a yr. He gets this $60 no matter if he does just a quick turn day trip, or if he is overnight. My friend that uses the company credit card on a day trip turn would not get to use it at all. They would not have time to go eat. Even if they did, they aren't spending $60 on lunch!! Per diem wins hands down. Im airline so I get per diem, although its not as good as my friends in the Corp world. I get about $550 a month at my regional.

An alternative....

For those on a meal system, just try to eat at restaurant chains when you can (Outback, Red Lobster etc) that have gift cards.
Eat your meal then ask for a gift card for the difference and you can use your "money" later on. This is just a different kind of per-diem, but it doesn't have to be wasted.

Latest resources

Back