• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PEOPLExpress tries to fly again as new start-up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know about those but I thought PanAm 3 and braniff 3 were due to launch a while ago??!?!

PanAm 3 launched and died a few years ago. PanAm 2 operated from 1996 to 1998. In its short life it merged on the corporate level with Carnival Airlines (but operated separately) before both companies declared bankruptcy and ceasing operations. The Pan Am brand name, and Carnival operating certificate were sold to Guilford Transportation in New Hampshire and Pan Am (aka Pan Am 3) operated from 1998 to 2004. Guilford then transferred the Pan Am brand to its subsidiary Boston-Maine Airways and operated 727s as "Pan Am Clipper Connection" until dying in 2008.

Guilford Transportation still owns the brand name and famous logo and has now applied it to their freight train operation - yes there is now a "Pan Am Railways" operating with the famous Pan Am logo. Any attempt at a Pan Am 4 would have to purchase the name and logo from Guilford Transportation.

Edit- of interesting note according to Wikipedia (dubious source I know) there is still part of the original Pan Am still operating - Pan Am International Flight Academy. That division was opened by the airline in 1980 and allowed to remain open under the terms of the 1991 bankruptcy and then began operations as an independent company.

Last edited:
I wish them luck, but how can you look at no startup money and an old 737 and think this is a good idea?

one of the AirTran folks said great loads out of PHF. That might be, but, great loads on a fuel efficient B-717 does not mean a profit for a gas guzzling 737-400.

Spirit started with CV-580's (Charter-1)...so you never can tell can you I laughed off the call to go be part of the team then, but my fears turned out to be quite inaccurate..

So when did the 737-400 get the stigma of being a gas guzzeler? 5500-6000 lbs an hr for a 150-165 pax airplane isn't that bad considering they are avialable at very cheap lease rates with plenty of parts avialable.

Latest resources

Back