• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS is coming to Express Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and true. If the company wants to give an 8.05 RR in between two 5 or 6 leg days on the 50.. and their only excuse is that its legal, then fine..everyone understands that RR overnights happen, but when you get them twice on a 4 day it gets dangerous. When those first flights in start running 45, hour, 1 1/2 late they will make the change to normal rest.

The new rest rules will fix this problem. Reduced Rest will expire.

This stinks. 75 hours 3 times a year doesn't cut it. I like to work a little during vacation to get my pay up to the high 80's.

Work during vacation? Why take one? Make more money in a vacation month than guarantee? That can be done with PBS in a vacation month, but you will be giving up days off--obviously.

2500 erj pilots say PBS is history. Many IAD pilots are fed up with PBS and are lobbying against it with the erj pilots in the crew rooms and on overnights. There are "no PBS" notes in their cockpits and nopbs.com. A five minute ride on the hotel van with erj pilots saying they're open to it means nothing, they're just avoiding confrontation. The fact is they're altogether opposed to it.

PBS is a good system with good features, but the company is misusing it. PBS will be gone, and I'm glad.

PBS is the only thing I have ever voted "yes" for and I regret it. I'm voting no on any TA with PBS in it and encouraging the erj pilots to do the same.

Even our own mec, ie, NT is taking sides with the company saying vacation low will be eliminated and many of the QOL features will be lost.

I've seen Expressjet's line bidding and it blows what we have away.

Many? Maybe a few. I worked in IAD. After 3 months, many liked it! Your diatribe has many broadbrushed generalizations that simply are not true. Face your Fears! Everything will be OK. And, learn to bid!

Last edited:
We need more than control of pairing construction. With the company having control of the threshold you can't bid guarantee, or a 3 on - 4 off schedule.

The Company sets the TLV. You set the PCT. If you set the PCT, it neuters the TLV.

The threshold has nothing to do with pairing value or productivity. PBS simply distributes pairings--under your direction to a large degree, if you know how to bid.

To have 3 on and 4 off, the pairings need to have high credit value--in PBS or line bidding. Your stage lengths are about 75 minutes, average. How many legs do you need to fly to get 6 to 7 hours a day to produce 3 day pairings with 18-20 hours?

And junior line holders end up on reserve if guys below them have vacation or training.

Yes. This is not line bidding. It is PBS. In PBS, you are bidding individual pairings to try and achieve a target, not the threshold. If you have pre-assigned credit, then you have a head start, generally. Everyone gets vacation throughout the year. In PBS, any trip awarded to a pilot was available to any pilot senior to that pilot, unless the more senior pilot was restricted by too much block in 7 days, a conflict with a pre-assigned, or a number of other reasons. Is this any different than when you pick up open time?

Sorry, I was talking about the dropped portions of trips conflicting with vacations.

Signed, Mr Ambiguity ,(-;

Why should you get paid for work that you did not do? Do you pay someone to cut your yard if he does not cut your yard?

Any xjt pilot in the bottom 80% system wide would be crazy to vote yes on a TA with pbs. Why? Pbs honors seniority.
I'm not sure the sure the bottom 80% of ASA PBS users would agree with you. They have good lines, and yes, it honors seniority. Read you contract about seniority--nothing has changed since you were hired. It works the same at any airline in this industry.

It will give the top 20% more control and the bottom less. If giving up control of your schedule to the senior guys is your thing then vote yes on pbs...
The bottom 20% of your pilot group is no different than the bottom 20% at any airline. You can't fix Juniority!

As for the pbs for the secondary bid, we'll see if that's a good thing or not.
You'll love it.

When you go for an interview at your next airline, tell them you will only take the job if they neuter seniority. Good Luck on that BobbaLou!

Why should you get paid for work that you did not do? Do you pay someone to cut your yard if he does not cut your yard?

I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't get paid for. I'm saying it's a benefit the erj pilots will lose with PBS.

By the way, if you can negotiate getting paid for work you didn't do, good on you. Life is what you negotiate.

Many? Maybe a few. I worked in IAD. After 3 months, many liked it! Your diatribe has many broadbrushed generalizations that simply are not true. Face your Fears! Everything will be OK. And, learn to bid!

I bid just fine. I do good with what we have to work with, and get what I expect or better. But it used to be way better. With the current flying, threshold and trip value, you can't do a three-on, four-off, which I should be senior enough to do. I bid top ten at IAD and my QOL has gone down with PBS, and my pay is 3% less in '12 than in '11. You also can't bid a 75 hour line with more days off when the company sets the threshold higher, which is what I need to do to be productive for my department, which affects pay as well.

Did you work at IAD or were you actually based there? There is a difference between living it and just visiting. My guess is you're ATL-based and passed through IAD.

After looking at expressjet's line bidding it is much better than what we have, and I'm sharing that with them.

If EVERYBODY at ASA with scheduled reduced rest overnights made the flight late enough to delay the flights the next morning they would go away GUARANTEED!!

Instead you guys come on here like little whiney beeches and cry about 8 hour overnights. I for one have NEVER successfully done a scheduled RR overnight. I ALWAYS have to get my duty in time adjusted. Just ground the airplane for an hours worth of MTC.

If we ALL did this every time we had a RR overnight, THEY WOULD GO AWAY!!

Then you get an 18-hour overnight in PAH and get home 10 hours later for exactly the same pay.

Latest resources

Back