• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS Frontline expose' on regional airline industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You want to argue semantics. Whatever you want to call it, what we do, is safer because of ALPA.
And I'm not here to debate safety. It's really secondary issue. When the pay is as horrendous as it is at the regional levels...safety is an after thought. I know you're here to tell me that pay is not really the top concern for pilots today. The pilots THINK it is...but they just don't know what's best for them. It's a shame that ALPA has such an ignorant membership.:rolleyes:

Its subtle but if you notice, Roger Cohen is telling the truth. No one is forcing you to work for Colgan. Another words, why would a company change their ways when people still show up for work? No one is forcing you to commute in the back of cargo planes. Average pay for a regional pilot is not 1200 dollars per month. Safety is the number one priority. Im not saying all of the above are OK but it is what it is. Roger Cohen is speaking on behalf of the company, what do you guys expect?

Well first year pay at Colgan was at the time when i started working there, 20 an hour, 75 hour guarantee. 20 times 75 equals 1500, now take out uniform payment of 100 every month for six months, then dental and health insurance and I was left with just over 1200 a month. So most average new hire pay is around the 21 to 24 dollar an hour. Which is anywhere from 1500 to 1800 base pay per month. Take out taxes and everything else and the average is around 1200 a month. So I wasn't blowing sunshine up miles o'briens butt when I said that.

Nobody forced me to work there, but they were the first to call and I took the job flying a 1900. If I knew what I know now, I would have never went there.

They could have said, "We'll fly those planes at mainline." Held the line on scope. Instead they said screw the junior guys, they haven't paid their dues, I want mine! Spin off the Barbie jets and give me a raise.

How? Don't just say coulda/woulda/shoulda.....

justify your post.

If outsourcing is such a common place practice.... and pilots as consumers in other industries patronize outsourcing.... how could/should ALPA have stopped all of this... the devil is in the details...

And I'm not here to debate safety. It's really secondary issue. When the pay is as horrendous as it is at the regional levels...safety is an after thought. I know you're here to tell me that pay is not really the top concern for pilots today. The pilots THINK it is...but they just don't know what's best for them. It's a shame that ALPA has such an ignorant membership.:rolleyes:

Of course you don't want to debate how safe ALPA has made piloting because it disproves your statement that ALPA is worthless. I make a statement of fact that you cannot deny with your own statement of facts so now you just don't want to debate it.

Anyways, safety is not a secondary issue. Its part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Without safety, you don't care about anything else. Is thee number one issue. And its why ALPA spends a lot of its resources on things like sunshine meetings, ARCs, ntsb investigations, call to action meetings, white papers, congressional testimony, safety councils, FFDO, secondary barriers, negotiations, etc. And I'm not here to tell you that pay is not a concern. But until you can disprove that ALPA has helped make piloting safer, there is no need to also point out all the other benefits of ALPA, such as aeromedical, insurance, representation, pay & benefits, etc.

Anybody else want to smash that RAA guy in the face? What a sleaze bag! I still remember all the crap the RAA was putting out in the media during our Comair strike.

Of course you don't want to debate how safe ALPA has made piloting because it disproves your statement that ALPA is worthless. I make a statement of fact that you cannot deny with your own statement of facts so now you just don't want to debate it.

Anyways, safety is not a secondary issue. Its part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Without safety, you don't care about anything else. Is thee number one issue. And its why ALPA spends a lot of its resources on things like sunshine meetings, ARCs, ntsb investigations, call to action meetings, white papers, congressional testimony, safety councils, FFDO, secondary barriers, negotiations, etc. And I'm not here to tell you that pay is not a concern. But until you can disprove that ALPA has helped make piloting safer, there is no need to also point out all the other benefits of ALPA, such as aeromedical, insurance, representation, pay & benefits, etc.
It is a luxury to speak without knowledge when ones needs are met, especially when one did not sacrifice or work to ensure those needs are protected and promoted...

Entitlement..... ain't it a b!cth

HA HA grey ghost! hey, make a one of your world famous avatars featuring cohen!

Suupah, its not my best work but it'll do for now!

Rebecca Shaw — earned an annual salary of just $16,200 at regional carrier Colgan Air, according to testimony by Mary Finnigan, Colgan's vice president for administration. NTSB officials also noted that Shaw once moonlighted in a coffee shop while working for the Virginia-based airline.

Captains at Colgan — like Shaw's partner, Marvin Renslow — typically earn between $50,000 and $53,000, according to the board.

Hey Roger, I thought you said the average salary for a Regional airline First Officer was $32,000-$33,000 per year??? Go F yourself!!! you Scumbag!!!!

What is there to debate? Safety isn't a top priority. When Pay and Benefits needs aren't met...the interview stops right there.

Go back and reread your class notes on Maslow. You're unintentionally agreeing with me (and you're right to do so). Glad we can see eye to eye on some issues.

Latest resources

Back