Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paying thousands for a slim chance to get hired at SWA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't looked at the numbers in years, but when I was weighing my options... the difference in first year pay at SWA and that of many legacy carriers was about the cost of a 737 type rating. Does that still hold true?

This whole thing is a matter of semantics. If you want to be more qualified to have the opportunity to interview at SWA, then you will pay for your training in the 737 initial course at your school of choice. If you would like a job as expeditiously as possible, then you may be persuaded by the marketing campaign of "pay for training". In this case you are paying more for a job than training. The cost of "training" at these places is far more expensive than most places that do not guarantee or offer employment as a first officer. If the costs were equal then I would argue that you, in fact, pay for training only. Traditional "PFT" sells experience, not training.

Stupid argument, really. If you want the job, then you will do what is required. I am very pleased with my $7377.00 investment. So far, it has given me better return than any investment I have ever had.

I'll answer my own question. Using the numbers off Airline Pilot Central, 1st year reserve FO pay on the junior equipment to compute annual pay.

American - 30,600
Continental - 28,272
Delta - 42,000
NWA - 27,000
United - 27,720
USAiways - 36,504 (not sure if I computed this one correctly)

SWA - 49,296

The next closest competitor would pay 7,296 less than SWA. So on paper, if you go interview, get the nod, buy the type and work a year at SWA... you come out even money with Delta probie's and come out ahead of every other legacy pilot.

Am I correct? Or did I just screw up my math?

You did.

i don't know one WN FO who made that little in their first year.

I'll answer my own question. Using the numbers off Airline Pilot Central, 1st year reserve FO pay on the junior equipment to compute annual pay.

American - 30,600
Continental - 28,272
Delta - 42,000
NWA - 27,000
United - 27,720
USAiways - 36,504 (not sure if I computed this one correctly)

SWA - 49,296

The next closest competitor would pay 7,296 less than SWA. So on paper, if you go interview, get the nod, buy the type and work a year at SWA... you come out even money with Delta probie's and come out ahead of every other legacy pilot.

Am I correct? Or did I just screw up my math?

and to help answer your question.....

who on this list is hiring?

Why is it that so many are ready and willing to get the 737 Type to get the interview/or START TRAINING with Southwest? Are there no principles anymore? Since when did Pay For Training become an acceptable thing? And don't fool yourselves Southwest guys, because that's exactly what this is.

I can't think of one other reputable airline that requires a Type on the aircraft to be flown on the first day of training. I'm sick and tired of Southwest guys getting a Pass on this. I certainly wasn't required to have a 757/767 Type at my airline on the first day of training; and I make a LOT more than those guys at Southwest. Paying for Training just lowers the bar for ALL OF US.

I know I'll get a lot of retribution from Southwest guys about this, but I don't care. Ego doesn't obfuscate the truth. SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT.

If you're not RAISING the bar, you're LOWERING IT.

Don't forget: Just seven short years ago, Southwest was the red-headed stepchild of airline jobs. Their pay and benefits package SUCKED in comparison to the Legacies/Cargo.

Post 9/11, they had a very low operating cost. Duh! They didn't pay dikc compared to the legacies. To their credit, they had many brilliant corporate moves, to include fuel hedging, and the realization that if you can make the employees feel happy about dressing in Santa Claus' and elves' costumes on Christmas, they won't mind being paid sub-industry wages. (Personally, I'll take the extra millions over the lollipops and dressing like Santa Claus). Now, Southwest (among passenger airlines) has established the new "bar." Guys are cumming all over themselves to work there. Obviously guys don't remember the "bar" that was in place prior to 9/11.

Brilliant. It has worked for them. That, and the cherry picking and cannabilization of the National Airspace System.

You want my opinion? Save your money, and your pride. Save your industry. Don't prostitute yourself to Southwest. There are other reputable jobs out there that don't require you to sell yourself with Pay For Training. Don't lower the bar for yourself. Don't lower the bar for the rest of us.

You make "a LOT" more than those SWA guys.....wow, you're cool. Here's your trophy. If you're so brilliant, you wouldn't be a "worker bee" at an airline.....you'd be running your own joint or flying your own G-IV.

Why don't you give us a rundown on how picture perfect your career has been, what you've done to raise the bar, where you've worked?

Will you enlighten everyone on how SWA has "cannabalized" the National Airspace System?

Well?

Last edited:
At the end of the day the principle is the same. We're talking about paying for your own type to get an interview. Jackass.

So I guess all the money you spent to get the private, commercial, instrument, multi-engine ticket was paying for an interview as well? You need those to work at an airline as well.

You pay for your CRJ type, I'll pay for a 737 type and we'll talk in 10 years to see which option was better.

Got my 737 type the old fashioned way.

Worked for an airline that flew them and got a few thousand hours in the seat.

Glad I saved myself the cash because, to be quite honest, I probably would've found a way to buy it if I didn't have it already.

(Even though I have not yet, nor do I intend to apply to SWA in the near future)

Latest resources

Back