Pay raise for Southwest today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
So now SWA is "setting the bar". Funny how I heard for years and years how we were lowering it by agreeing to fly for such substandard wages and work rules. That no one wanted to come to SWA unless they couldn't find a job at a "real" major.

Yeah, and it's funny how everybody thinks SWA is setting the bar when in reality they are not!! It's not called "setting the bar" when for years their pilots were way down the list in terms of pay and work rules. Because of that, the legacy carriers have had to ram concessions down everyones throats in order to compete, which they still can't. Nice way for a company to set the bar, by bringing everyone DOWN to their level instead of surpassing the likes of the United and Delta pilots 737 pay of old:rolleyes:.

pipejockey said:
Yeah, and it's funny how everybody thinks SWA is setting the bar when in reality they are not!! It's not called "setting the bar" when for years their pilots were way down the list in terms of pay and work rules. Because of that, the legacy carriers have had to ram concessions down everyones throats in order to compete, which they still can't. Nice way for a company to set the bar, by bringing everyone DOWN to their level instead of surpassing the likes of the United and Delta pilots 737 pay of old:rolleyes:.

I would be more pressed to argue that due to the likes of the Legacy carriers trying again and again to cripple Southwest with CAL-Lite, MetroJet, Delta Express, United Shuttle, and because of that, Southwest had to ram less than stellar contracts down their throats in order to compete. It is hard to make strides when your very survival is at risk. Like everone like to point out about SWA, No International, No widebody flying, and you thought that SWA pay should affect the pay at a Global Airline? The very same could be argued about the current scales at those same carriers, but you wouldn't see it that way now would you? You can't have it both ways.

I am young to aviation but one huge advantage I have noted about SWA is thier simplicity. I am an A&P and the fact that they only have to have one type of aircraft part on hand is huge to keeping exspenses low. SWA could pay their pilots way more if they chose to. That goes along with their mechanics etc.

I'm glad someone is getting a raise! 8000+ pilots in 2012. Wow. Staggering number. Puts them on par with AMR. One observation and I would like to think this has already been thought of for future reference by SWA management, but once the fuel headges are gone AND if oil does remain the same or higher, is this pay sustainable? One would hope.

pipejockey said:

Yeah!! right on. I could NEVER live on $120,000/year as an F.O. Southwest can't be a MAJOR airline anyway, since you obviously have to lose $400mil/qtr to qualify for that title.

Sounds like you guys/gals @ LUV have got both pieces of the sandwich, good wages AND a good company.

Ex737Driver said:
is this pay sustainable? One would hope.

Maybe a SWA guy will correct me, but I believe the raise was indexed to profits. I think their section six opener isn't until 2009?

ironwedge said:
Maybe a SWA guy will correct me, but I believe the raise was indexed to profits. I think their section six opener isn't until 2009?
True except section 6 opens in April 06 - postphoned from 2005, by company request

Latest resources

Back