Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mdanno808 said:
Any predictions on whether or not mesa shows up next year or not?

Did you know you can ask Ornstien yourself? Here is his favorite place to hang out... For reals he is here, it is a public forum.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/mesaairlinesforum/

I tallied up that he was in there for almost 9 hrs yesterday (8 hrs 57minutes to be exact) answering messages to people with names like Eaton Yurtwatt, Galley Wench, JO's 3rd nipple, Haywood Jablome and others...

I dont have any idea how he expects to destroy any more airlines while he spends so much time on the internet.

My prediction is.... If history has anything to ever say about Ornstien it will be that he was more disturbed than Howard Hughes. Thats the only way he will ever get his place in history. Its really quite sad. I wonder if his VP's have started to take him out of the room yet when he throws a fit on a daily basis.

Only a true fool would be in his position and expose his company like that.

Wonder if he was on the clock during those 9 productive hours.

Shoooots

Ah man, I didn't even know you were furloughed. Dude, I'm sorry about that. I know when I was furloughed I took it a bit more on the chin than I do now that I'm back... But seriously, I'm gonna agree with you. HAL is going to do well and survive just fine. Really. I just want both groups to realize we COULD BE in a race to the bottom. In the meantime, let's all relax and make fun of the brown bag dude like Dan has mentioned...you guys are frickin' brutal! Poor kid...just wanted a free lunch....

Hey Dan Roman:

who'd you bet that the recall's would start by the end of the year, and how do I get in to some of that action? You giving odds on how many will be back by the end of next year?

Hawaiian's CFO Talks ....

Extract From Hawaiian's SEC 8-K filing today (Q&A prepared by the CFO)

1. What do you think about Mesa’s announcement they plan to enter the inter-island market and the effect it will have on Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. (referred to herein as "Hawaiian")?
A: We believe that whether Mesa enters the market or not, Hawaiian will continue to enjoy a strong position. New airlines have repeatedly entered the interisland market over the years (Mahalo, Discovery, Mid-Pacific) but none have been able to make a success of it. The issue is not barriers to entry; there are in fact few of them in the interisland market. Rather, the issue is that the current operators provide a high level of service at competitive rates. The strong local brands, the high frequency of service already provided and the strength of the local frequent flyer programs have proven decisive in the past. Having said that, we take all competitive threats seriously and will closely monitor developments and respond accordingly.

2. Do you expect to add any planes to your fleet in 2005 or 2006?
A: We would like to add one or two additional Boeing 767 aircraft to our fleet in 2006. We have been actively searching for suitable aircraft but have thus far been unsuccessful. We will continue these efforts until the right aircraft at the right price becomes available.

3. What should we expect as far as ASM (available seat mile) growth?
A: There are no plans to have additional aircraft in service in 2005. As a practical matter, we are unable to increase capacity with our existing fleet because, given our route network and the maintenance burden associated with long-distance, over water flying, our fleet is fully utilized operating our existing schedule. Our new San Jose-Honolulu began September 29 th , was made possible by pulling capacity from other routes.

4. Any changes in the charter business?
A: There are no planned changes in the charter business. ? We will continue with our scheduled charters. ? We provide charter service for the Oakland Raiders football team, and operate a regularly scheduled charter out of Anchorage. ? Given the full utilization of our existing fleet, we are unlikely to operate any ad hoc charters.

5. How does the entrance of other carriers, and specifically America West/US Airways (US Airways), into Hawaii impact Hawaiian Airlines?
A: The Hawaiian market continues to be very competitive. Year-to-date, capacity into Hawaii from the mainland has increased approximately 11% versus 2004, and is up approximately 21% from 2003. US Airways is scheduled to start service to Hawaii from Phoenix in December. It is too early to know what impact this will have on yields, although the early published fares on their new service do not generally seem to be below existing fares. Based on published schedules the capacity to Hawaii out of Phoenix will increase by about 127% as US Airways is entering the Phoenix market with four flights per day. Based on published schedules Las Vegas to Hawaii capacity will increase about 29% assuming US Airways adds two flights per day. One factor that will impact how large the effect US Airways entry into Hawaii will have on Hawaiian will be the percentage of their traffic that connects from the rest of US Airways network. The larger the proportion comprised of connecting traffic, the smaller the impact on Hawaiian. In addition, we believe our frequent flyer program is very strong in the local market, and creates a significant advantage for us when competing for traffic originating in Hawaii.

6. Any reason to think this new competition should be limited somehow or have a limited impact on Hawaiian? ? Is this a big deal or minor change?
A: Intensifying competition has been a constant over the past several years and there is no reason to suppose that the latest round of capacity additions will be any different from previous increases. Pricing in the airline business is much more closely tied to the demand for seats versus their supply than it is to the cost of providing those seats. No one knows exactly how the interplay of the supply of seats to Hawaii and the demand for them will play out.
As discussed above, we have seen a recent increase in the number of seats flying between the mainland and Hawaii, and we are aware of the future capacity increases announced by US Airways. Obviously, the domestic airline industry is in a period of extraordinary upheaval, with many of the largest players operating under bankruptcy protection. It is impossible to predict in any precise way how these companies will be restructured, but we expect fleet sizes will be reduced which could ultimately lead to fewer flights to Hawaii. Obviously, there can be no assurance that such an outcome will occur. On the demand side, travel to Hawaii is strong, and while there are no guarantees, we expect Hawaii to remain a popular vacation destination.

7. Hawaiian’s position in its markets has been fairly strong and Hawaiian has had better pricing power relative to its competitors. Yet, it appears that yield declined in the second quarter, whereas many carriers were showing improvements in yield. Also, why did RASM decline when other airlines have seen pricing increases? Is it competition? What should we expect going forward?
A: As mentioned earlier, in a competitive market pricing generally is linked to the demand for travel and the number of seats offered. In times of rapid capacity expansion, it is common for fares to decline and it is worth noting that capacity between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii has risen quickly this year while on the mainland, domestic capacity has been essentially flat.
Hawaiian has several marketing programs aimed at mitigating the effect of additional competition. These programs, which include the HawaiianMiles frequent Flyer program, contribute significantly to Hawaiian’s industry leading 88.2% load factor year to date through August.

8. Generally, why should Hawaiian’s position be defensible and this particular market not be subject to a lot of price-based competition with discount carriers getting more into Hawaii from the mainland?
A: The Hawaii market is already a very competitive market with low barriers to entry which suggests that while most airlines not already serving Hawaii could gain entry to the market, there is not the attractiveness to doing so that may exist in other markets with higher yields.
The lack of barriers to entry is not new and is reflected in the fragmentation of market shares among principal competitors, including Hawaiian. There are two areas of advantage for Hawaiian which in the past have proven important in allowing Hawaiian to compete successfully against all comers. The first is technical: before flying to Hawaii in any twin-engine aircraft, the FAA mandates the aircraft carry extra equipment, and the airline undergo considerable additional maintenance rigor and submit to considerably more stringent oversight. This additional burden generally runs counter to the ‘keep it simple’ corporate philosophies of the new breed of low cost carriers and, as such, represents a barrier to entry for many potential competitors. More importantly, whereas Hawaiian’s competitors offer service to Hawaii in addition to their full range of other services, Hawaiian focuses exclusively on selling Hawaii as a destination. We believe we understand the Hawaii market better than our competitors and have been successful in leveraging this knowledge in the face of competition.

How much fuel usage does Hawaiian forecast for the second half of 2005?
A: Approximately 57 million gallons

In the past the Company has talked about a one cent change in jet fuel prices yielding a $1.1 million increase/decrease in annual operating income if sustained over the course of a year. Does that include the effect of hedging?
A: No. Hawaiian forecasts that it currently consumes 110 million gallons of jet fuel annually, therefore each $0.01 change in the price of jet fuel results in a $1.1 million change in fuel expense, before considering any effect of hedges in place.

I'm betting that extract from the 8-K contains essentially everything that will be discussed at the employee & furloughee meetings next week.

HAL

HAL said:
I'm betting that extract from the 8-K contains essentially everything that will be discussed at the employee & furloughee meetings next week. HAL

I posted the complete .pdf of the 8-K up on hawaiiflyingjobs and islandairpilots in Yahoo! groups for those who are members. Pretty comprehensive overview of what HAL management has been thinking and saying privately to the street which they now feel compelled to disclose to the public to avoid "selective disclosure".

I'm in for next year's bet...In fact, I'll raise you. I'll bet all those on furlough will not be back for another 5 years. 1-2 aircraft in 2006 brings no one back if they figure they are overstaffed by 20 (maybe 10). I've asked this in the past, and no one took the question seriously: What happens if we're out more than 5 years? Do we get preferential interviews, or is there a provision which will allow us to retain our seniority. Who get's to make the decision as to whether or not we do keep our seniority/longevity. (ALPA, or the company)

Last edited:
Dan,I've got bad news....Hawaiian is saying when the furloughee's return THEY SHOULD BRING THEIR OWN BROWN BAG LUNCH! THEY WILL NOT BE PROVIDING YOU A FREE LUNCH! Here's the actual retirement numbers I got from a list an FO had on my last trip, 2005: 2 more 2006: 11 2007: 14 2008: 15 2009: 16 It's never been a problem with people being dropped from the furlough list, If it actually got that long I'm certain there would be no problem extending. Believe me, the attitude of Dunkerly and of course the union is equally adament about putting the furloughed pilots back to work. I talked to Kirk, during the last negoitiations we gave the company the right to adjust the days off (by seniority) of the reserve pilots to prevent periods of the month when everyone is off. It means not everyone gets all the days off they wanted, but in fact, KIrk feels we now have leverage to address the occasional understaffed days that do exist. Even though we are overstaffed per the staffing formula, the reality is we need more bodies and allowing the company to even out the days off and we still are short somedays gives us ammo to say we need more pilots. The union is formulating a response along those lines. Finally, as I've said before, a lot can happen in a short time. When your Dad and I were furloughed from the cargo division, half the pilots on the list were furloughed. I was told forget about coming back (not by the company, just fellow pilots). 3 years later everyone was back and they were hiring like crazy.The point is it's way to volatile of an industry to speculate anything. By the way Kirk also confirmed that Hawaiian is taking another look at the possibility of using 767-200's to supplement the 300's because it is hard getting short term leases on the 300's. Hawaiian is in the same boat as everyone else in wanting the next generation aircraft so they can't sign long term leases. Kirk said because the 200's do have some differences they would need about 5 or more to justify the additional parts inventory. There is a lot of demand for Hawaiian Airlines in the market place (88% load factor) and it seems to me the more we reduce our exposure in the volatile inter-island market by expanding the Trans-Pac the better off we'll be. Looks we are going to be adding Apia to PPG, hope it's a layover, good surf in Western Samoa!Hang in there, this will all be a distant memory some day!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back