pay for a captain at a regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:

And without having to pay dues to a national union who is intent on destroying your career....

Once again advocting the use of what can only be called scab labor. This is who is helping to undermining pay and conditions at a regional level.

PLEASE tell me how it is that SkyWest pilots are undermining pay at the regional level. I don't think it is going out on a limb to say that the SkyWest package (pay and/or work rules) is above average among regionals. If that is true, there are a good number of UNION shops with below average packages in force.

May I suggest you redirect your accusations to them?

An example to help out Andy...SkyWest pilots make more money than do American Eagle pilots...are Eagle pilots undermining pay and conditions at the regional level? They did agree to a 16 year contract that keeps them at "industry average" pay. Oh, but wait, they are represented by ALPA...so Rottweiler, if a pilot doesn't work for ALPA, a pilot is a scab?

Huh?

For all you guys that are bitching that you don't make enough, try this! I'm getting 3rd year Captain pay at Lakes and making $28.45/hr, no extra money for being junior manned which happens almost weekly, no extra money for picking up trips, and a $1.00/hr per diem. Yeah, that equals out to about 30k a year.

P.S. I'm not disgruntled...

The Eagle contract was NOT designed to provide "industry average" pay rates, but to include pay scales "at the top" of the industry with annual raises based on "the industry average" (IAI) in order to maintain salaries at (or close to) the top of the industry. Several grievances over AMR 's "interpretation" of this aspect of our contract are in various stages.

BTW..... I made 88K as an RJ Captain last year. In fact, AMR is paying among the highest salaries in the industry for their RJ crews simply because of longevity. The average Eagle RJ captain has 12 years seniority (range is now 8-20+ yrs). Their crew costs are higher than virtually everyone for 50 seat A/C.

It seems SkyWest has a good working relationship with it management and should be a model for other management. Unfortunately other managements don't want to keep employees happy and pay them and reward them for hard work. The first thing that gets cut is the bonus pay for making profits and working hard. Unions breed lazyness and disgruntled workers. I know we get more pay for the CRJ than Skywest but lose the extra pay to union dues so the pay is even. On the flip side, if Skywest management were to change its tune and wanted to cut pay, it would be no problem. Unions prevent this. This is the way I understand it. Skywest provides a good product and if we want to make more money we need to start providing a superior product. From the pay scales I have seen for SkyWest they are not underpaid compared to other regionals so scabbing does not apply. I wish I could get they pay and not pay union dues but unions are a necessary evil to keep most companies honest. Sorry, this is all over the place.

No disrespect intended, eaglefly...but turboprop wages at Eagle are "industry average". Fifth year Saab captain at Eagle is around $47...my buddy at SkyWest is making more than that in his fourth year as a Brazilia captain. Plus, he is going into the CRJ next month (which he could have held a year ago)...isn't RJ upgrade at Eagle running at eight years?

It doesn't matter what the intent of the contract was for the pilots, the reality is that it provides for "industry average" in just about everything. And yes, I have read the contract, I'm an ex-eagle pilot.

Fellas,

I wont get in the arguments about Unions but for the guy looking for info on Pay.

Id say average for my co. is about 60,000 /yr plus or minus a few.

Hopefully that will change soon for the next contract which we just started negotiating on.

Personally Im in the training Dept. and must say that we dont do too bad( in the mid 80's) for straight pay with no extras.(PD, OT)

That should be the pay for the line pilots as well IMHO.

S. Reddy
ERJ Check Airman
ExpressJet Airlines

English....That is the point of the greivances. The IAI is being manipulated by the company to their advantage and for now the Eagle scales remain in the middle of the industry. All involved (except AMR) recognize the faliure of the 16-year contract. You're only as good as your elected reps and in '97, Eagle pilots had the taliban as reps.

If you want to make decent money with a regional, get on with a well established regional. Go with ASA, ACA, SkyWest ... and believe it or not, you know what the best paying regional from what I hear is ... yes, you guessed it ... Piedmont, and they only fly Dash 8's. Dont look at the aircraft type and judge pay, do some research, you will find that you can get some good paying jobs. Airlines from what I hear to avoid are Eagle and CoEx on the top of the list. They hire people with little to no time and pay for that as well.

Latest resources

Back