• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passenger weights Pt. 91

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a good threat. Another question?

What about total weight on the aircraft. I am flying a G200 and I’m not so concerned about using 200lbs vs 175lbs, but I am very concerned about all the uncounted weight on board.

When I started flying an aircraft that has a FA, with all the cabin amenities and Crap onboard the uncounted weight went through the roof.

We have Jepps, computers, printers, DVDs, Magazines, headsets, ton and tons of food, and food prep items, toiletry items, bathroom supplies, cleaning supplies, chocolate, dinner ware, serving ware, cooking ware, coffee makers, tea makers, a ton of water bottles, 10 to 20 lbs on ice, deserts, snacks, beer, wine, blankets, pillows, soda, flowers, slippers, it just keeps going on and on. Then we stack a crap load in the luggage too.

None of this weight is really counted, and then pilots like to add 170lb per passenger and fill the fuel to max TO weight. It really concerns me about how much weight we actually have. And that’s not even for an international trip.

For a 5 day trip with 6 pax, the FA drives her car out to the aircraft and unloads about 30 grocery bags, plus all the standard crap we already have on board.

We must have an extra 500lbs that just doesn't get counted. But try to increase the BOW by 500lbs and see how much slack you get about range. Pilots just love to carry GAS!

Does anyone else have this problem and what kind of solutions do people have?

Our airplane was emptied of all stores, non-required equip that we carry, etc. All itmes were weighed, arms determined and IS now figured into our BOW. We operate with 3 crew PLUS this 600+ pounds of extra stuff. If we ignored this number in the aircraft I fly we would be routinely (unknowingly??) loading the aircraft outside the fwd limit of the CG envelope. Knowing this number we can specifically load pax, bags, etc to keep it within CG. Yes, it sucks losing the payload / fuel. But, IMHO, it is the proper way - and the only way - to do it.

Last edited:
Bluntly asking an individual what they weigh is usually offensive. Being offensive to your passengers is not professional.

If you must ask, ask in advance and ask the lead pax to gather the information for you. This way, the personal information that many people are very touchy about can be handled by someone that is more familiar to them.

I never said anything about being blunt. No one in there right mind would ever be offensive to passengers. If it is truely important there are ways of finding out weights without bluntly asking the person.

My point was it is not unprofessional to find out a person's weight for w&b purposes. Should you walk up and say "hey fatty, what's you tonnage today?"....No! Sometimes you need that information and its your job to get it. Be creative, find a way.

When I get ramped, I don't think the FAA will accept " I was going to do W&B, but I did not want to be rude and ask their weights."

Latest resources

Back