Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cappydd

Hey folks,
What kinds of weights are you using for your passengers? Also whatever weights you use, is that including personal luggage (carry-on such as computer bag or briefcase)?
Do you increase or decrease these weights for summer and winter?
And last but not least, what kinds of weights are you using for baggage?

I know that there are different methods such as the average weights listed in the FAA Advisory Circulars, but have also heard of using actual weights as well.

Just curious what some guys out there are using and how they derived at that or those weights.

Thanks,

We use actual weights if possible. Add 10lbs for personal items and another 10 in the winter. Baggage is actual.

Actual weights when the total weight will be near the max take off weight.

For example, my aircraft has a MTOW of 16,000. If the BOW + Fuel = 13,500 and I have 10 small women, I'm good. If I have 10 big guys, now I'm using actual weights. But, I'm lucky. I've run all kinds of W&B scenarios and it is dang near impossible to get the aircraft out of CG. I literally have to have a heavy copilot, 4 big guys sitting in the front club and no luggage for the aircraft to be out of CG forward. Due to limitations on cargo, I can never go out of CG aft.

The hidden point is that you need to make decisions based on the situation for today.

Actual weights when the total weight will be near the max take off weight.

For example, my aircraft has a MTOW of 16,000. If the BOW + Fuel = 13,500 and I have 10 small women, I'm good. If I have 10 big guys, now I'm using actual weights. But, I'm lucky. I've run all kinds of W&B scenarios and it is dang near impossible to get the aircraft out of CG. I literally have to have a heavy copilot, 4 big guys sitting in the front club and no luggage for the aircraft to be out of CG forward. Due to limitations on cargo, I can never go out of CG aft.

The hidden point is that you need to make decisions based on the situation for today.

What kind of Citation are you driving?

We use actual weights... about 200 for guys if I don't know and about 150 for women... I know I like them more like 115 lbs but oh well

Just my personal opinion, but asking actual weights in a jet seems ridiculous. Take a educated guess and if it is so close that ten pounds is going to make a difference, you take less fuel and just stop anyways. I know, i know this reg says, this AC says.... just be a professional.

Just my personal opinion, but asking actual weights in a jet seems ridiculous. Take a educated guess and if it is so close that ten pounds is going to make a difference, you take less fuel and just stop anyways. I know, i know this reg says, this AC says.... just be a professional.

weird...I though following regs and Ac's WAS being professional.

Why is asking weight ridiculous? What is so unprofessional about that?

weird...I though following regs and Ac's WAS being professional.

Why is asking weight ridiculous? What is so unprofessional about that?

Bluntly asking an individual what they weigh is usually offensive. Being offensive to your passengers is not professional.

If you must ask, ask in advance and ask the lead pax to gather the information for you. This way, the personal information that many people are very touchy about can be handled by someone that is more familiar to them.

Latest resources

Back