Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WSurf

The Smack Down!
On Feb. 21, 2008, Mitchell Berns heard every flier's two least favorite words: weather related.

Citing snow, Delta Airlines was canceling his flight from Las Vegas to New York City and rescheduling him for a redeye connecting in Boston. With 47% of all delays so far in 2008 caused by weather (up 5% from last year), most fliers can relate. And they know that normally this story ends with a bleary-eyed tale recounted the next day at the water cooler. Not this time. It ends in court, with our traveler $838 richer.

Berns, 55, is a securities litigator with Lane Sash & Larrabee in White Plains, N.Y. On that night he was flying home from a romantic getaway with his wife, who was pregnant with twins. Seeing that other airlines' planes were still departing as scheduled, Berns asked Delta to refund his ticket so that he could book one of those flights. They told him (politely, as he recalls) that weather-related cancellations or delays are not the airline's fault and do not come with a refund.

Berns checked the National Weather Service report. It said snow that day was expected at five the next morning -- hours after his flight was scheduled to land. He and several other passengers from his Delta flight easily booked a JetBlue flight departing at the same time. His tab: $938. He landed at J.F.K. on schedule.

Back at home, Berns did what any consumer with $15 (in New York City) and a working knowledge of English (or Spanish, in most states) can do: He filed a small-claims suit against Delta for $938. Delta did not show up to defend itself, so on June 12 he won a default judgment.

When a legal analyst from the airline called him two weeks later to negotiate a payment, he declined an offer of frequent-flier miles ("Confederate currency," in his words) and made a counteroffer: If you pay me within two weeks, I'll knock $100 off. Delta agreed but asked for a confidentiality agreement. Berns said they couldn't have both, and Delta took the discount. (A Delta spokesperson did not respond to repeated requests for comment.)

"The lesson is, Don't let them bully you with bogus cancellations," says Berns. The whole thing took him about four hours, he recalls, resulting in earnings of less than half his hourly billing rate. "But I'd do it again," he says. "That's how good it felt."

When a legal analyst from the airline called him two weeks later to negotiate a payment, he declined an offer of frequent-flier miles ("Confederate currency," in his words) and made a counteroffer: If you pay me within two weeks, I'll knock $100 off. Delta agreed but asked for a confidentiality agreement. Berns said they couldn't have both, and Delta took the discount. (A Delta spokesperson did not respond to repeated requests for comment.)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Do the same lawyers who sold a confidentiality agreement for $100 negotiate labor agreements? We can't beat these idiots?

sigh...

Good for him.

You know, I have a great deal more sympathy for people take care of things in a reasonable manner like this (sue in small claims for actual damages) than I do for a-holes who try to justify ticket costs plus $1million in perceived BS "damages.

If more passengers did this, airlines would have to come up with more reasonable rules for the flying public. They're simply understaffed to send lawyers to 1,000 small claims courts each week.

Kudos, my man. Kudos.

"The lesson is, Don't let them bully you with bogus cancellations," says Berns. The whole thing took him about four hours, he recalls, resulting in earnings of less than half his hourly billing rate. "But I'd do it again," he says. "That's how good it felt."

This guy is making some serious jack. 838/4 = 209.5

At a minimum this guy is making 419 an hour?!! Not bad.

How much money did we save on that particular flight in fuel savings for cancelling it? Maybe it was more than $838?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I hope the savings were worth losing customers.

They took Jetblue anyway according to the article. If they have another "Valentine's day Massacre"---they will come back to us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

They took Jetblue anyway according to the article. If they have another "Valentine's day Massacre"---they will come back to us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That's the problem with many airlines today. Why not treat the customers right in the first place, so you don't have to "rely" on other airlines f-ing up to get them back?? Sad, very sad how customer service is non-existent. Honestly, I only fly JetBlue or SW when I have the choice, just for that mentality.

Latest resources

Back