• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passenger Strikes Back wins against Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much money did we save on that particular flight in fuel savings for cancelling it? Maybe it was more than $838?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Great attitude the Genital has: lets "F" the consumer as long as we can make a buck. Genital are you in training for a management position? Sounds like it to me.....

Great attitude the Genital has: lets "F" the consumer as long as we can make a buck. Genital are you in training for a management position? Sounds like it to me.....

My point exactly. Seems to be the mentality of many.

Did I really say that? I doubt it. If getting a break on high fuel was a result of cancelling a flight for unknown reasons, then great. I doubt that was the reason we did it, though, but savings none the less.

Bye Bye--General Lee

the fact that so many pilots are "above" cleaning up an aircraft is what fuels so many of the contentious contracts. when pilots are doing everything they can to offer the best service-- it places the credibility issue directly on management.

I argue and fight for more money and healthier schedules-- not for laziness.

I think I might remember the WX system in question and Delta made a good call. Jet Blue operated the flight because it did not harm the them to have airplanes stuck at JFK the next morning. But, anything that arrived at JFK was indeed stuck there until 11, 12, or 1300 the next morning.

IMHO the Claimant only won because the defense side was a no show. But for him, a win is a win. If he is a real New York attorney that spent 5 to 10 hours on the phone, typing this up and filing it, trotting over to the Court house, then negotiating settlement, he still lost. With this AIG mess and Lehman, there is plenty of other work that pays much better....

Look at the big picture.

Yes, you have to look at the big picture. It looks like this guy was going to HPN which would have been an ASA flight (50 pax max). This flight was probably also a stand-up. If the crew had to take any delay in the morning, then the crew would time out and the airplane would be stuck if the weather didn't cause the airplane to be grounded. In addition, that airplane would have been scheduled for a full day of flying the next day which would impact many more flights downline. As a final point, if weather was moving in, the FAA was probably restricting flights into the NYC area (as they love to do when a cloud moves into the area) so Delta proactively cancelled smaller flights to allow more mainline Delta flights to go, thus getting more passengers to NYC on time. So the cost would have been much greater than the fuel they saved by cancelling this flight and they only inconvienced at most 50 pax out of the tens of thousands that traveled that day. Looks to me that Delta made the right call.

Just my .02.

I think I might remember the WX system in question and Delta made a good call. Jet Blue operated the flight because it did not harm the them to have airplanes stuck at JFK the next morning. But, anything that arrived at JFK was indeed stuck there until 11, 12, or 1300 the next morning.
You stand correct.
That next day was fcstd to be the snowiest day of the year. FCSTD Friday and storm tapering off articles. Operationally a good call by Delta. A/C was probably a RON and Delta didn't want it stuck there all morning or even all day while it could of been put to good use somewhere else; a spare, upgrade or even for a possible extra section, etc. Efficient utilization of A/C and crew members was the objective for the airline. Have to think of the whole picture here, also, crew overnight could have turned their following days trip into a crew sched nightmare, which it would 've. The big boys always tell us to cnxl a certain percentage of flts in preparation for a fcstd winter/summer IROP. We also like to not have a bunch of a/c stuck the next morning/day at the hub; ORD, DEN, SLC. A/C snowed in in blizzard conditions can make plowing the ramp even more difficult for airport authorities. Yet alone gate space shortage etc with seriously long deice lines. It's better to prepare by being proactive because reorganization of the fleet and crews is less of a headache once the snow settles, thus a clean startup with minimized customer service chaos.

have a great time flying Jetblue and SWA to ATL the next time you have to go there.

General,

You and I both know there ain't NOTHIN' "great" about having to fly to ATL... :nuts: (regardless of who it's on...)

(I keed, I keeeeed......)

Hahaha.:rolleyes: Weak.

Do you think I work for either of those companies??

No, you're one of those lav servicers on a corporate jet.

Just stating the obvious.
Just because it comes out of your pie hole doesn't make it obvious.

It's just not this event I'm talking about either. It's a problem w/ the airlines whether or not you can see it. So go ahead w/ the insults (like it really bothers me), shows your maturity, and proves that there is truth to what I say.
I'm sure the airlines have the bigger picture el capitan. Let them worry about the problems they have and you continue to file flight plans, clean the cabin, and make sure catering gets there on time!

Latest resources

Back