Part 135 guy jumpseating on Southwest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commuterguy

I think I already know the answer, but figured it's free to ask. I fly for a fractional (part 135), would it even be possible if a Captain felt kind enough to say yes to allow me to jumpseat in the back of the cabin? Or does the policy restrict jumpseating to certain 135 outfits? I flew 121 for a decade so I know the one sided nature of my question since we can't reciprocate, but its for a good cause. Thanks for any info.

I think I already know the answer, but figured it's free to ask. I fly for a fractional (part 135), would it even be possible if a Captain felt kind enough to say yes to allow me to jumpseat in the back of the cabin? Or does the policy restrict jumpseating to certain 135 outfits? I flew 121 for a decade so I know the one sided nature of my question since we can't reciprocate, but its for a good cause. Thanks for any info.

I don't work for SWA, but unless A: you and your carrier are members of the CASS system and B: your carrier has a reciprocal JS agreement, then the answer will most likely be NO.

Disclaimer; I do not work for SWA, but am pretty sure that you can't occupy any 121 carrier JS without meeting the two above requirements.

As far as riding in the back, you would have to get past the ticket counter, the TSA, the gate agent, just to get to the Captain to ask. Best of luck. I know that at my carrier the chances of that would be nil. However I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, on one of my flights.

Sorry.

Peace.

Rekks

If you're not on our jumpseat list, then it's a no-go. That said, if you were trying to get on one of my flights, I always carry a few extra buddy passes with me to deal with these situations. :cool:

I don't work for SWA, but unless A: you and your carrier are members of the CASS system and B: your carrier has a reciprocal JS agreement, then the answer will most likely be NO.

Disclaimer; I do not work for SWA, but am pretty sure that you can't occupy any 121 carrier JS without meeting the two above requirements.

As far as riding in the back, you would have to get past the ticket counter, the TSA, the gate agent, just to get to the Captain to ask. Best of luck. I know that at my carrier the chances of that would be nil. However I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, on one of my flights.

Sorry.

Peace.

Rekks

I do work for southwest and we just had an air ambulance pilot try the same thing. It doesn't work.

There is no way to put you in the system without a reciprocal jump seat agreement. If you can't be put in the system then they can't count you on the airplane. Before 9/11 you would have had a chance now there is no way.

In the past, some 135 operators managed to get reciprocal agreements with 121 operators, by having their D.O. or C.P. write a letter to the airline's D.O. or CP asking for a reciprocal agreement. Don't know if that is still a possibility these days, or not. If so, it wouldn't be flight deck access, but a seat in the back.

If you're not on our jumpseat list, then it's a no-go. That said, if you were trying to get on one of my flights, I always carry a few extra buddy passes with me to deal with these situations. :cool:

That's very cool. Just curious, how many buddy passes a year are you guys allocated? (We only get 10 round trips a year is why I am asking)

Latest resources

Back