• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parking at NJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the big deal about parking? 95%+ of the home airports we have offer free parking available for us thru the fbo's. Of course there are exceptions....CVG, DFW come to mind. Those guys have to get creative and get access to the employee parking lot if available or find a local hotel that will let you park and take their shuttle.

I hear you on that...I dunno still kinda sucks...18k raise...subtract 35 percent for taxes and its down to 11,700. Then minus 1800 for parking and your down to 9900 extra a year in your pocket.

Does this mean you won't apply? Cool, one less resume for me to compete with! Wait...hold that thought. Ya know, my crappy regional reimburses me for my parking. I'm staying...

What is not business-related about having to pay for parking at the airport? I have deducted parking expenses for years.

Generally you cannot deduct commuting expenses, only business expenses. Examples of business related activities would be transporting NJ clients or equipment in your vehicle. Travel to your job site is considered commuting expenses not matter how far it is from your home. Now I'm not sure exactly what NJ rules are but under the FlexJet satellite base system you could deduct all your vehicle expenses under the rule below if you live outside the metro area where you work.

No regular place of work. If you have no regular place of work but ordinarily work in the metropolitan area where you live, you can deduct daily transportation costs between home and a temporary work site outside that metropolitan area.
Generally, a metropolitan area includes the area within the city limits and the suburbs that are considered part of that metropolitan area. You cannot deduct daily transportation costs between your home and temporary work sites within your metropolitan area. These are nondeductible commuting expenses.
However, if I understand NJ policy correctly you are based at one airport and the IRS will probably consider that airport your place of business.

Parking fees. Fees you pay to park your car at your place of business are nondeductible commuting expenses. You can, however, deduct business-related parking fees when visiting a customer or client.

See Publication 463.

Wife works downtown in a major city.

Wife must pay for garage parking.

Company does not reimburse.

Not deductable as it is a commuting expense not a business expense. When wife goes out of town on company business from the major airport, company pays for parking.

Wife is a CPA in some 15 states. Does tax work. Knows the rules. Been doing it for 20 years. She (we) do tax returns for several pilot friends.

Husband is domiciled with a frax at major airport. Pays for parking. Not reimbursed by company. Not deductable as it is a commuting expense. It is not a business expense.

Latest resources

Back