Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parker, biting off more than he can chew?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the sad reality is that all too many at AWA would be thrilled with a 10% payraise. I'm sure I'll get a few 'if you don't like it here go to ups comments..."

Pilots complain about the erosion of the profession but too many of us seem unwilling to reverse the trend.

the sad reality is that all too many at AWA would be thrilled with a 10% payraise. I'm sure I'll get a few 'if you don't like it here go to ups comments..."

Pilots complain about the erosion of the profession but too many of us seem unwilling to reverse the trend.

Thanks to Green, Noserider76 and FDJ2, I am beginning to believe there are some on this board who actually have a clue.

Last edited:
Well I would argue that the determination of pilots at DAL, UAL, AA, NWA over the last twenty years has made those careers much MORE profitable than 20 years at AWA. Prior to 9-11 DAL had captains making 350k/year and FO's making 220k/year. After 9-11 and a FIFTY percent paycut they still make more than any AWA captain. Furthermore even with a cancelled pension they have something like 30k per year coming their way in retirement on top of any B plan. So yes I would say pilots can win if they get unified and fight for something decent. Too many of us in this industry have the attitude that things are the way they are and our hands are tied. That attitude won't get us far. I hope we merge with DAL just to get some more determined pilots on property.

If you look at the entire history of organized labor, the only meanigful gains in wages were made when industries were experiencing tremendous growth and companies were under intense pressure to gain market share (when profits were easy to come by) regardless of cost.

When you see that same economic condition presenting itself again in the airline industry, give me a call.

...and that's just it ...you won't. Those $350,000 paychecks,if there were any such things, were earned prior to the advent of deregulation. Working for an airline back then was much like working for the local utility company (ie your costs go up well, by golly, just file some paperwork with the CAB and raise your ticket prices. Problem solved.) Deregulation has eliminated that option. It is now market forces at work and the market has spoken. "$500 dollars and no more for my ticket" Companies either adjust to the realities of the new marketplace or they cease to exist, plain and simple. I don't like it any more than the next person,but it is what it is.

PHXFLYR

Last edited:
...and that's just it ...you won't. Those $350,000 paychecks,if there were any such things, were earned prior to the advent of deregulation. Working for an airline back then was much like working for the local utility company (ie your costs go up well, by golly, just file some paperwork with the CAB and raise your ticket prices. Problem solved.) Deregulation has eliminated that option. It is now market forces at work and the market has spoken. "$500 dollars and no more for my ticket" Companies either adjust to the realities of the new marketplace or they cease to exist, plain and simple. I don't like it any more than the next person,but it is what it is.

PHXFLYR

Talk about clueless! 350k was earned by some Delta 777 Captains until 12-2004. Me thinks you do not work in the airline industry. Stick to something you know. Maybe knitting or arts and crafts?

Talk about clueless! 350k was earned by some Delta 777 Captains until 12-2004. Me thinks you do not work in the airline industry. Stick to something you know. Maybe knitting or arts and crafts?

If you want to find some of the most clueless airline employees on the planet, one need not go further than Phoenix Arizona. Those folks work for chicken feed and still blow kisses at their god Doug Parker every chance they get. Being from the Midwest and growing up in legacy aviation I have never witnessed anything like it. It is truly bizzar.

Get a clue people...he is filthy rich...you are not.

Are these the same 777 Captains that took the lump sum and then "cut and run" leaving you to hold the bag?

PHXFLYR:cool:

If you want to find some of the most clueless airline employees on the planet, one need not go further than Phoenix Arizona. Those folks work for chicken feed and still blow kisses at their god Doug Parker every chance they get. Being from the Midwest and growing up in legacy aviation I have never witnessed anything like it. It is truly bizzar.

Get a clue people...he is filthy rich...you are not.

...and if you fly an airplane for a living,neither are you.

Are these the same 777 Captains that took the lump sum and then "cut and run" leaving you to hold the bag?

Glad they did. That freed up many spots and prevented many furloughs. They also worked for that pension for more than 20 years each. They deserved it, and they only got half of their pension by the way.

Bye Bye--General Lee

IOW, you were wrong.

DAL is in BK and DAL pilots have taken nearly a 50% paycut, but they still are paid more than you, so give it a rest.

Latest resources

Back