• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paperless Cockpits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our Fujitsu's are piled up in a corner of the office.

We got full-size tablets as backups to the PlaneView/Jeppview. The tablets are great for viewing but they take forever to boot up. Hope I'm never on fire and have to get them going.

On international, we print everything up beforehand. On domestic, we keep paper charts in a book for the three or four primary destinations we go to. Otherwise, we live on the edge without paper... :eek: TC

I agree. We keep the things turned on and ready to go but just the same there are times when I think this would never work if we really needed them.

mike1mc said:
For 135 ops, two units are required including a printer and a 6-month trial period. For 91 you do not require any approvals from the FSDO and I don't think you need two units. I have a King Air paperless under 91 and it only has one Class 3 EFB ("Tablet PC" EFBS are usually Class 2). It would be good practice to have 2 units onboard anyway.

STC for hardmount is NOT required. We operate a Lear 60 and Challenger 604 without STCs for hardmounts. You can use them as "loose equipment". We had to develop a procedure to use the EFBs this way under 135. I beleive FLOPS also uses the units this way. Maybe someone can confirm this.

I have a copy of AC120-76A in front of me and I'm not seeing where two units are required for 135 work. Where can such information be found? Or does it vary from fsdo to fsdo?

Should be in the AC. If not I'll have to pull out the JobAid and other docuements. I'll get an answer tomorrow.

Last edited:
We use the Fujitsu EFB. I really like it but there are new ones out there that have incredible graphics. I would go that route.

I have used two versions of JeppView. One is great and extremely intuitive the other is a nightmare clusterf***!!!!!!!

We have approval for hard wired EFB but are required to keep hard copies of all plates until we get an STC for a "permanent" mount.

I love the EFBs. Hated them at first but can't stand to be without them now. Even with the inferior graphics of the Fujitsu.

http://www.jaa.nl/secured/Operations/Public%20Documents/JOEB/TGL-36.pdf

Governs JAA approval of EFB's.

My suggestion would be to sit down with your FSDO and ask exactly what they want. A few suggestions prior to contacting them:
1. Understand what Class and Type of EFB you have.
This can be determined by reading the , it's a lot of FAA rhetoric but it gives you a place to start. You need to have a basic knowledge because this is what your FSDO will be using.
Contact the salesman, odds are you are not the first to try the application in your type of aircraft. He should have answer of what type and class or he can point you in the direction of someone who he has sold it to in your area.
2. Contact the aircraft mfr or your avionics shop. If you are using a 337 form or if someone has an existing installation, have a copy of it with you when you go/talk to your FSDO. He will want to know where you are powering the EFB (which bus) from and how it is mounted (removable or permanent).
3. How you plan to implement the usage of the EFB. LOFT training, 6 months with paperback up, or anything that you want to come up with.

I sat down with my FSDO's avionics guy. He was great, he told me what I can do and how to do it. He told me that they don't have a definative program for part 91, that I was basicly on my own because of the type and class of EFB I was using. He suggested following the pt135 guidlines, so we used the two efb's with a paperback up for 6 months (we kept our jepps subscription for 6 months. Now we just print arrival and alternate plates.

I use a Fijitsu in a G5.

Last edited:
Save yourself a hassle and go to www.flightdeckresources.com I'm trying to get our 135 op to go paperless and this outfit is a all-in-one operation. They sell hardware and software. They also HELPED THE FAA WRITE the Advisory Circular concearning EFBs.

Rokit88

I can't remember bit I think it was Diesel who turned me onto the Garmin GPS 10. If it was I need to say, "thanks".

I have a Fijitsu and I purchased the GPS 10 transmitter. I placed a Sprokit Blue Tooth card in the Fijitsu. What I now have is a poor mans G550, Plainview. I have been using the GPS10 for about 3-4 months now and have never had a problem with windshield heat or lost position. It makes the Flight deck features of Jepp View usable. I actually track my position from hanger to hanger. The 10-9 airport diagram feature is awesome.

The only problem I have encountered is the inability to get 3d information from the GPS10, I get 2d. Which works great for the map features but not for the altitude features. If anyone else is getting it to work please PM me.

Anybody here have experience with the Canadian Marconi Type ll system that Gulfstream first introduced in the G1V, I believe?

G4G5 i'm glad you liked the tip. I'm trying to get another G buddy of mine to try it out but he's reluctant. :) I'm glad it's working out well.

I absolutly love being able to track the plane on the map. To actually see it over the approach plate is a big plus too.

Plus it gives you something to do on long flights. By thw way how much time are you getting out of the battery?

Just read your post that you are having 3d issues. I believe this is a problem with the unit. I'd send it back if I were you. I've never had a 2d or 3d issue. It could be a windshield problem but i really doubt it.

How many satelites are you picking up?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back