PA Announcements: THINK before you speak

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FurloughedAgain said:
Flew as a paying customer from ATL-XNA last night.

When the first-officer made his pre-takeoff announcement he said,
"Welcome aboard flight XXXX service to ZINA (or XENA)".

I was aware that he was making wordplay on the three-letter XNA. My wife was not. In fact, several of the customers in the immediate area were not.

With the exception of identifiers like JFK that are used interchangably with the airport name, most passengers have no idea what the 3-letters are -- and most would not have been able to understand the joke.

Why is this a big deal? In Atlanta the aircraft was boarded in the usual haphazard style. Numerous aircraft on the ramp with no signage and very little employee assistance to help customers to the proper aircraft. A number of customers (especially the elderly) were anxious that they might be boarding the wrong aircraft.

Now this F/O (who thinks he's being clever) welcomes people onboard their flight to "Xena" -- and grandma, who flies once a year, is confused.

Like it or not, folks, this is a customer service business. You are expected to behave and communicate professionally to the people who pay your salary.

To you, XNA may be that lousy overnight in the middle of nowhere. But it caters to at least three Fortune-100 companies. That means business travelers and high yields for ASA.

THINK before you speak. You have an obligation to do your job professionally -- ALL of it. The way you train. The way you fly. The way you dress. and the way you communicate.

Regards,
-A paying customer

(PS - the F/A was a bit of an unfriendly cabin-nazi, but since there's no Flightattendantinfo.com, I guess its up to your company to fix her attitude issues)

What do you think, ASA hiring is predicated on demonstrated professionalism, flying aptitude and formal education? Nope. Just bodies with pulses. In the past, ASA had some great pilots. Now, they can't attract a leper.

Motive Flow said:
The real question is: What do you call BDL? Windsor Locks? Hartford? Springfield? Hartford/Springfield? Bradley? :confused:

Actual PA announcement by yours truly...

...lady's and gentleman welcome aboard flight xxxx service to...ah...

*clicked off PA*

To captain: Where we going?
CA: Bradley.
FO: What else is is called.
CA: Windsor Locks.
FO: No, the other one.
CA: Hartford.

PA: ...welcome aboard flight xxxx service to Hartford, CT. We're currently...

A few minutes later the FA calls (after several passengers openly wondered) to find out if we knew where we were going. I made another PA assureing the pax that we were, in fact, going to Hartford and made up some BS story about ATC distracting me. Funny now, but it wasn't at the time.

DrewBlows said:
Funny now, but it wasn't at the time.

You're so unprofessional. Why don't you -think- before you make a PA announcement. Next time, try to be more like captain perfect who started this ridiculous thread.

I have often told the people the wrong city in the course of a 7 leg day. I figure as long as the wheels hit the right piece of concrete we're all in pretty good shape.

Who cares what the pax think. They want a $100.00 ticket and thats what they get. You get what you pay for. I couldnt care less about their damn bags or the fact that they are a rewards member, etc. If you want me to care then pay me a salay comensurate with caring. Otherwise other then my job as outlined in the Ops Manual I do nothing more.

mamba20 said:
Who cares what the pax think. They want a $100.00 ticket and thats what they get. You get what you pay for. I couldnt care less about their dang bags or the fact that they are a rewards member, etc. If you want me to care then pay me a salay comensurate with caring. Otherwise other then my job as outlined in the Ops Manual I do nothing more.

I care what the pax think. A little professionalism goes along way. With seemingly every airline having $100 fares these days, there is no loyalty anymore. The only way to change that is to treat people well. It may only be $100 but they can easily take that money elsewhere. Repeat business will benefit me in the form of more growth.

Your also flying a 717 which means you work for a company that has a better contract then mine and better pay. Even if its still underpaid. And before you say it, yes I'm trying like hell to change it.

Lets also examine the fact that if I bust my ass and provide the best customer service that I can then whats in it for me? NOTHING! No profit sharing, no bonus etc so why bother? The companies we fly for take and take and take from us and line their pockets and ready their golden parachute. So really, why care? I do the best job I can with the flying part and what is required of my flying skills. I'm not outright rude or anything to the passengers but I'm not going out of my way for their petty problems.

(laugh) Yeah! Those darned customers and their $100 tickets! How dare they expect the proper name of their destination airport / city / or geographic area to be used in the PA announcements!?!

You guys are such rebels!

Latest resources

Back