Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
Flew as a paying customer from ATL-XNA last night.

When the first-officer made his pre-takeoff announcement he said,
"Welcome aboard flight XXXX service to ZINA (or XENA)".

I was aware that he was making wordplay on the three-letter XNA. My wife was not. In fact, several of the customers in the immediate area were not.

With the exception of identifiers like JFK that are used interchangably with the airport name, most passengers have no idea what the 3-letters are -- and most would not have been able to understand the joke.

Why is this a big deal? In Atlanta the aircraft was boarded in the usual haphazard style. Numerous aircraft on the ramp with no signage and very little employee assistance to help customers to the proper aircraft. A number of customers (especially the elderly) were anxious that they might be boarding the wrong aircraft.

Now this F/O (who thinks he's being clever) welcomes people onboard their flight to "Xena" -- and grandma, who flies once a year, is confused.

Like it or not, folks, this is a customer service business. You are expected to behave and communicate professionally to the people who pay your salary.

To you, XNA may be that lousy overnight in the middle of nowhere. But it caters to at least three Fortune-100 companies. That means business travelers and high yields for ASA.

THINK before you speak. You have an obligation to do your job professionally -- ALL of it. The way you train. The way you fly. The way you dress. and the way you communicate.

Regards,
-A paying customer

(PS - the F/A was a bit of an unfriendly cabin-nazi, but since there's no Flightattendantinfo.com, I guess its up to your company to fix her attitude issues)

PacoPollo said:
You must ASSumed it was the FO making the PA. Was he listeningto his I-pod?

He might have been. That non hat wearing backpack carrying bottom racing midget pilot from Gulfstream.

If I remember correctly, ASA published a request to it's employees not to refer to XNA as "Xena", but as Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport, when making announcements.

fayettville-bentonville-springdale-rodgers-northwest arkansas international airport to be completely p.c.

Could it have been just an honest mistake? Alot of pilots just get in the habit of saying "Zee-nah" when talking to other crewmembers about XNA. This guy may have temporarily forgotten who he was talking to.

Kind of like "Charlie West" for CRW.

The real question is: What do you call BDL? Windsor Locks? Hartford? Springfield? Hartford/Springfield? Bradley? :confused:

My biggest pet peeve is guys who say AH AH AH AH AH in between every other word. Christ, it makes them sound like George Bush durring an inpromptu interview.

EHE2 said:
fayettville-bentonville-springdale-rodgers-northwest arkansas international airport to be completely p.c.

Oh yeah, i forgot... Wallmart/Tyson International...LOL

xena is much easier...

Latest resources

Back