• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overweight...Now What???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you count midgets? (Oh! im sorry, little people)

The way I'm reading into some of the responses, guys flying RJs normally consider everyone to be an adult for weight purposes? If so, why?

If there is no W/B issue it's easier to calculate passengers that weigh the same verses some at 184 and some at 81. When weight is an issue we'll take the extra time to figure the kid count. It's an approved method of figuring weight and balance.

Since we are all trying like we are going to get the in-laws on standby on the little RJ, go see if your FOM allows for Exemption 8657 and if the conditions do exist to apply that rule. Then call your dispatch to drop the alternate. You need to verify but you need at least 2SM and BKN010 1 hour prior and after, need CAT II status on three areas, the airport, the airplane and the crew, and no TS whatsoever.

Last edited:
@#$#$% RJ's

You guys may like to fly them, but I avoid riding in them like the plague......I hope this fascination with toy airplanes ends soon.

:rolleyes: How about getting your company to actually operate the equipment in the environment it was designed for.......... regional flying.
Come to think of it - doesn't this belong in the regional section?

Nope, cuz as fo's in the "regional" world, we already know how to compute this. The captains just watch.

Why is this on the major board??

Exactly...I was gonna jump in and post a real response to this but it looks like we've got a few SMJ boys up in here.

For the record...HP/US don't use "half weights"...it's either a kid or it's not. A kid is between 2 and 12 years old and counts as 80 lbs in the summer. Everything else is 190 lbs during the summer. Bags are 35 lbs unless they're tagged "heavy" then they're 50 lbs.

Full boat would exceed MTOW or payload? Sorry, thats why we have a POC. Buh bye.

5. Bring gate checked bags into the cabin.

If you've seriously done this, God help you. TSA will catch you and f--- you with a big metal spike. Checked bags stay checked bags until they reach the baggage claim [3 days after you arrive at your destination]. That's a TSA reg.

If you've seriously done this, God help you. TSA will catch you and f--- you with a big metal spike. Checked bags stay checked bags until they reach the baggage claim [3 days after you arrive at your destination]. That's a TSA reg.

He's talking about valet bags, i.e. carry on bags people leave at the side of the airplane to put in the cargo area during flight. It's perfectly legal.

Call the gate and say: "We're overweight by 8000 pounds, so figure out what you want to do because I'm keeping the alternate and I am eating lunch."

Latest resources

Back