• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overweight...Now What???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He's talking about valet bags, i.e. carry on bags people leave at the side of the airplane to put in the cargo area during flight. It's perfectly legal.

As is the case with many things, it probably depends on the TSA-hole inspector. I was told by one that once the bag leaves the sterile area it's now a checked bag and can only be delivered to the customer via baggage claim.

As is the case with many things, it probably depends on the TSA-hole inspector. I was told by one that once the bag leaves the sterile area it's now a checked bag and can only be delivered to the customer via baggage claim.

Negative, these are pink tagged bags and are picked up planeside by the customer.

Negative, these are pink tagged bags and are picked up planeside by the customer.

O Rly? Wow I work for US Airways and didn't even know that. I'm saying it doesn't matter what color the tag is...I was told by the TSA inspector that when the gate check OR gate valet item goes outside of the sterile area (i.e. the jetway) to be loaded onto the aircraft, it is now down there until the destination.

I was told this because of a passenger who needed their medication. The bag was a gate valet (ours are neon green) and was sent down the jetway chute. A TSA inspector happened to be auditing the ramp agents' security compliance and overheard me asking one of them to grab the bag and bring it up. He told me returning the bag to the passenger after it taken outside is a violation.

TSA agents are like customs agents, you get a different answer everytime you talk to them. At least the FAA publishes the rules and playbook.

A violation of his? Because at my airline we do this on a regular basis. Bags r removed from the back to front to change the numbers.

Latest resources

Back