• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overpowered aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont remember who said concorde,( sure it goes fast and high) but it barely gets off the ground. I have seen it probably over a hundred times and thought for sure it was going to crash on several occasions, as it doesnt do very well when it is slow. I would be interested to know its thrust to weight ratio but am guessing it is not so impressive.

I said Concorde and it *has* to have a higher thurst:weight ratio than other commercial airliners to go Mach 2. It just seems logical.

bigsky said:
I dont remember who said concorde,( sure it goes fast and high) but it barely gets off the ground. I have seen it probably over a hundred times and thought for sure it was going to crash on several occasions, as it doesnt do very well when it is slow. I would be interested to know its thrust to weight ratio but am guessing it is not so impressive.

bigsky said:

I caught that too just didnt say anything, they really are turds on the ground.
I think they go mach 2 b/c they are so aerodynamic. But that does not help them get off the ground, that takes thrust. And if I remember correctly they have high speeds, I dont remember what Vr is but I think its up there, so that too explains why they are runway hogs.

I just looked it up, Max TO is 408,000lb and all I found was "average TO speed" (whatever that is) was 250MPH, thats freaking gettin it for TO

Last edited:
gnx99 said:
I thought I heard somewhere that the Dornier 328 jet climbs quite nicely when empty.
The old Dork was an awesome machine. In the summer with a full boat and one in the JS we still got climbs of 4-5000 fpm. Once in the winter on an empty leg out of FWA we got cleared to 10000 on departure. I got that beast to 35 deg nose up and she was still accelerating. VSI buried at 9900+ fpm, so I don't know our real rate but we were level at FL180 three minutes after tower said 'cleared for takeoff.' Yes I'm such a dork that I actually started the timer.
Only .64m but it sure was fun getting up there.

I just learned the Concorde has 13 fuel tanks, what the heck. Think fuel management might be a full time job? It also pumps fuel around depending on speed to keep the CG within limits. Said actually trimming the airplane would cause too much drag. That is one airplane I dont think I would want to fly, sounds like a cluster f**k.

Last edited:
FlyJordan said:
I caught that too just didnt say anything, they really are turds on the ground.
I think they go mach 2 b/c they are so aerodynamic. But that does not help them get off the ground, that takes thrust. And if I remember correctly they have high speeds, I dont remember what Vr is but I think its up there, so that too explains why they are runway hogs.

I just looked it up, Max TO is 408,000lb and all I found was "average TO speed" (whatever that is) was 250MPH, thats freaking gettin it for TO

Empty weight on the Concorde is 173,050

Max t/o thrust per engine is 38,050

4x38,050/173,500 = .88

The long t/o roll and high t/o speeds are due to the wing shape. Highly swept wings with low aspect ratios are chitty at low speeds which is why planes like the Tomcat and B-1B land with them fully extended rather than swept back. The Concorde was built for speed at 60k, not short field t/o's.

...............but you all knew that already

Latest resources

Back